Heating A Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Conservatory should be going up soon once planning is signed off.

I was wondering as to the best way to heat a conservatory, is it suitable to simply 'T' into the existing CH & add another radiator?

Sponsored Links
No, building regs won't allow it
Needs to be on a separate circuit
Electric heater far simpler. Not cheaper but for time you are in there and require heating

Didn't realise that, thanks. I'm sure I've seen loads of conservatories with rads in

That's if you stick to building regs and even if you do you they will probably change again anyway. They used to allow you to go off the main CH as long as the conservatory rad had its own TRV until recently. On the other hand, I thought about doing the same but just stick to an electric heater now as far less hassle.

Sponsored Links
Depending on your budget you can do various things I have one of these in my conservatory, quite expensive but a great all year round heating and air conditioning unit very easily installed, Im not advocating this supplier in any way I dont know anything about them I bought mine elsewhere just google it.

http://www.conservatory-airconditioning.net/unit.htm

If space permits then fit a gas wall mounted heater if you can find a manufacturer that still makes them.http://www.robinsonwilley.co.uk/products/gas-fires/wall-heaters.htm

There may still be some suppliers of Baxi Brazillias.
You could try herehttp://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Wall_Heaters.html

Unless things have changed in the last year, RW discontinued the Warmplan (shame). Baxi Brazilias are now made by Valor.

How about underfloor heating.

if you go for a wal heater, you will need a slightly hugher dwarf wall, so do homework first.

GOOD LUCK

Why not stick in a Split Heating/Cooling unit that way you get heat in the winter and comfort cooling in the summer and still comply with Blg regs! ;)

We have purchased a 2000w Adax Neo flat panel heater as we looked at split systems & they are quite insightly.

How far do you expect 2 kW to go towards heating the conservatory?

The reality is that a conservatory is not adequately insulated to enable it to be used in very cold weather.

Another problem usually not anticipated in closely built up areas is that after dark you are in a glass house and what you are doing is visible to neighbours.

Tony

No, building regs won't allow it
Needs to be on a separate circuit
Electric heater far simpler. Not cheaper but for time you are in there and require heating

Wow, I didn't know that. Can anyone give me a reason why? And know if it applies up in Scotland too please?

How far do you expect 2 kW to go towards heating the conservatory?

The reality is that a conservatory is not adequately insulated to enable it to be used in very cold weather.

Tony

With 3 insulated sides & Pilkington K on the roof/doors I feel we'll be ok.

Calculated requirement is 5184 BTU (1600w)

Another problem usually not anticipated in closely built up areas is that after dark you are in a glass house and what you are doing is visible to neighbours.

Tony

If the neighbours feel the need to watch me design my land speed record car in the evenings that's their problem

You will regret not fitting heating/Cooling in very hot weather!! there are low level indoor units available for Heating Cooling Split systems that are no more unsightly than an electric panel heater! ;)

You will regret not fitting heating/Cooling in very hot weather!! there are low level indoor units available for Heating Cooling Split systems that are no more unsightly than an electric panel heater! ;)

Really, even with 5m bi-fold doors down the side for ventilation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back