Heating a dogs kennel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I posted on here some time ago about the running costs of electric and now understand how much it costs.

I have decided to build a kennel for my dogs and have insulated the walls,floor and roof with 25mm kingspan.

I would also like to put some form of heating in there ready for the colder months, but would just like to check which is the best to go for first.

I would just like to clarify that it doesn't matter what type of heater it is, it's the power output that effects the cost.

I was always told that a convection heater costs more to run than other types (electric radiator). Is this wrong.

I would like to check this first, so I can narrow down what I'm looking for.

I don't really want to spend more than about £20 on something, so the choices I have are an infra red bulb, an electric radiator (flat or tubular) a heat blower, a convection heater or a halogen heater.

Which of these would be the best to heat the kennel and to also keep running costs down.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Check with a dog organisation - kennel club/RSPCA/Dogs Trust etc - I seriously doubt that with 25mm of Kingspan that any heating will be needed in this country.

Hi.

I agree that I do not need to provide any extra heat into the kennel in this country to stop the dog from freezing to death, but from a comfort issue all dogs are different.

I have 2 dogs with similar coats, however one of them is more comfortable at a normal room temperature, whereas the other would sleep right in front of a fire all night if I let him.

They are outside for a certain time during the day and then for around 8 hours through the night. I'm not happy in knowing that one of them will be cold for the majority of the day.

Thanks.

Heated dog kennels.

Whatever next.

I would suggest tubular heater with guard around.

You can fit a timer/regulator/thermostat...

Sponsored Links
Heated dog kennels.

Whatever next.

I would suggest tubular heater with guard around.

You can fit a timer/regulator/thermostat...

totally!! lucky pooches.......

i did a cat box for a site that had a rodent problem - the staff insisted on keeping the biological control (cat) warm at night, so the moggy had a greenhouse propagator set quite low to kip in.

Hi Guy's.

I understand where you're coming from.

It's my own fault.

My one dog is 11 and the other 4. It's the 4 year old that is the problem. If he is cold at night he makes a racket and that keeps me awake.

My life, over the time he has been with us has been all over the place, I lived in Dubai for 12 months (in 50 degree heat and have moved from house to house a few times).

In some of the houses they have had to stay inside because there is no space for them outside.

I'm sure I woudn't have this issue if he stayed outside in a kennel from a pup.

Thanks.

catac or cosypaws do many dog heaters ranging from 250w through to 1.5kw.
the catac do a range of infa red that give off heat but not light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back