Heating and Hot Water For 1 Bed Flat

f42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a 1 bed flat for refurbishment. The plan is to renovate and re-sell. It's a repossesion so you can probably imagine the state that it is in. Obviously the aim is to make as much profit as possible so as little expenditure on renovation as possible however the place will be totally gutted.

I'm an electrician so will be doing all of the work myself. The problem I have is that there is no mains gas availible in the block, other units have oil boiler systems fed via a communal oil tank and some sort of metering system.

There will be a Bath, Shower and two sinks in the flat all which need hot water. Space is limited so i'm not to sure which is the best option -

- Spend in excess of £3500 getting an oil combi boiler in place and wet ch rads.

- Fit an electric boiler system with wed rads and cylinder

- Fit an instant water heater and Rointe type electric radiators.

- Fit an Immersion heater and tank with Rointe type electric radiators

If anyone has any experience in these situations please let me know!

Sponsored Links
fit a vented immersion heater cylinder with header tank, with panel convector heaters which cost about £20 instead of £300 each for Rointe.

If you want to spend a bit more then Dimplex etc have some nice panel radiators about the £100 mark.

Forget trying to fill a bath with 'instant' hot water.

Shower performance will be rubbish off a vented tank but they won't find that out till they move in. Unvented Megaflo type cylinders cost a lot more to install. Or you could use vented tank for the bath and a cheap instant electric shower.

Was going to fit a bog standard 8.5kw electric shower anyway, its just the space issue with the immersion requiring header tanks etc.

In terms of the heating, I will probably fit a decent electric system in the lounge area and then panel heaters in the bedroom and hallway.

Sponsored Links
- Spend in excess of £3500 getting an oil combi boiler in place and wet ch rads.
- Fit an electric boiler system with wed rads and cylinder
Both are a total waste of money for a 1bed flat.

- Fit an instant water heater and Rointe type electric radiators.
- Fit an Immersion heater and tank with Rointe type electric radiators
Forget those overpriced radiators. All electric heaters are 100% efficient, there can be no other way.

Other than the Fortic option mentioned above, you can get rid of the bath and fit a shower cubicle with electric shower, and then an Ariston Europrisma or similar for the kitchen sink and bathroom basin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back