Heating and pump on all the time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to replace the 2 way valve actuator and my water pump.
The actuator leaked and then leaked on to the electrics of my pump causing that to blow.

Now I have replaced both and I got like for like. I changed one item at a time and replaced the wires of the new item in to the same location as the old item.

However something is not right as the heating and pump is on all the time.

Now when the issue started the Danfoss control heating control panel had no power but now it does and the display is on, but now the heating and pump is on regardless of whether the control panel is set to on or off.

Can some one help me with where to start?

Sponsored Links
the top (electrical bit) is the actuator, the part that leaks is the body - which bit did you change?

Body and head I expect.

If so then it indicates that the system may have been wrongly wired in the beginning.

When did the controller stop lighting up?

Tony

Hi thanks for your replies.

I replaced both and the water pump as the leak went straight on to electrics of the pump and caused it to short.

I am sure I removed the wire one by one and like for like when I wired it back up.

The heating timer is displaying correctly and seems to be functioning as normal, switch between water and heating works, but its activating the heating all the time.
The Danfoss 102E7 heating timer we have used to make a distinctive click sound when it turned the heating on and off but now it doesn't make the sound. Im beginning to think there is an issue with the timer now.
As I understand the wiring, the live feed for the pump and heater is coming from the heating timer. However it seems to me the live feed returning from the heating timer is always on.

I have looked at the cost of a replacement heater timer and the one I have is expensive probably due to the age but a much better one from Danfoss is about half the price.

Does this seem plausible or am I talking out of my bum?

Sponsored Links
Here is an image of what I changed.

I changed the white thing at the top (2 port actuator valve ig was described as) and the water pump underneath.

A lot depends on how it's wired.
You need a multi meter or a set of test lamps to trace the fault.
On a basic system with two 2 port valves it's normally one of the auxiliary switches in the valves that sticks, giving the boiler a constant feed.

This pic shows only one valve; there are normally two!

Where does the pipe immediately to the left of the valve go?

Is there a motorized valve on this pipe?

Have you checked the lever on the end of the white valve as I suggested?

Do you have a multimeter?

Hi,

Yes its set to Auto and not Man.

Yes I do have a frost stat. That makes the usual click sound when I turn the dial from a low temp to a high temp. But that would only activate the heating if the control timer was set to on anyway. I dont know how that would cause the heating to always be on even if the timer control is set to off.

Again thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back