Heating/Boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not very experienced with heating questions etc. and have a few questions and hope someone here can shed a little bit of light on this.

The situation is as follows: we're renting an old Victorian house, which is absolutely lovely but also insanely cold. The fact that it is rented obviously limits our options massively, but maybe there's still something we can do. It's an end of terrace house with a heating system that has been installed in the 70's. Yes. You heard correctly. It is a central heating system running on gas, with no thermostat anywhere in the house. The gas boiler is downstairs in the kitchen but the whole thing can be programmed upstairs in a cupboard where the pump and the hot water tank (?) are located. The control thingy allows to set the times on which the boiler downstairs is running, but there are no separate options for hot water and heating, it seems to be all combined, and all I can do is a general "turn on, turn off" programming.

At the moment, the system is set up in a way that it comes up for 2 hours in the morning, then two in the late afternoon and another 2 in the evening. I added in two more hours during the last two days (one around 12 so the temperature doesn't drop as much in the first place) and it switches on in the afternoon earlier now and is almost at 3 hours. It is still incredibly cold. The house, of course, only has single glazed windows that are drafty like crazy. We're in the process of trying to reduce heat loss through the windows (thermal lined curtains etc.), and there's probably not much more that we can do, but I'd appreciate any idea to improve the situation, because it's not even December yet and I'm already sick of constantly being cold.

But I also have two questions: Does someone know or have an idea about what the best way to programme the heating in the first place would be? Obviously I don't want it to run constantly (although it currently feels like I would want that...) but I am also not sure what the best way is with this kind of combined heating programming without a thermostat. Does it make more sense to have it running several times during the day, even when we're at work, but for shorter periods? What is the most efficient way of doing this?

And how much hassle is it to install a thermostat? I read about wireless thermostats that can be placed anywhere in the house, which sounds great, but I have absolutely no idea what would need to be done to the actual heating system to receive this information? Where would that be wired in?

I would be very grateful for any help :)

Sponsored Links
ONLY run it when you are there and for say 30 minutes when you are on your way back.

With a WiFi thermostat you could turn it on remotely if you don't keep regular hours.

Little point in a room stat if it never gets up to temp though.

Draught proofing with silicone round the worst windows will help.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back