Heating comes on when Hot Water only selected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 3 way Drayton mid position actuator on my central heating system and I have noticed that when I select hot water only on my control panel the heating comes on as well.

After reading previous blogs I checked the valve is not stuck by turning off the power to the system. When I did this the lever on the side returned to the W position, far left. I pushed the manual lever on the end of the box to the right, it resisted but I could still move it and when released it returned to the left side position. I take this to mean that the valve is not stuck.

I turned it back on and switched the heating on only and the valve moved to the H position on the far right. I take it from this that the motor is working. I then switched the hot water on only and the lever moved to the M position and the box made a clicking sound.

Any suggestions why the valve would move to the mid positon when the hot water is selected? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Either the actuator is duff (sticking micro switch), or either the room stat/cylinder stat, programmer is duff.

Easy to check with a multimeter.

Thanks for your response :)

I thought it must be something electronic, looks like I'll just have to buy a new actuator.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back