Heating comes on with hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I have a problem with my heating not turning off once it has been on. What happens is I can use my hot water with no problems and can switch it on and off freely. Once I use the heating it will always come on with the hot water and cant be turned off unless the hot water goes off. The only other way is to turn the power off which closes the valve to the heating. As this closes the valve the next time I use the hot water the heating won’t stay on again until it is used and then the issue starts again.

I had a quick look and thought that the motor on the 3 port valve had broken so I replaced that but still had the issue. My next thought was that the signal was getting sent to turn the heating on (and the valve opened) but there may not be a signal being sent to close the valve. I needed a new programmer anyway so decided to put a new one in to see if it would solve the problem but still no joy.

I am now running out of options and don’t know what else could be causing the problem. The valve is definitely opening and closing freely so it does appear to be a signal issue but I am no plumber or electrician. Please could you give me your thought on this.

Sponsored Links
post some pics of your controls, programmer, thermostat, boiler etc so we can see what you actually have

Has it ever worked or is it a new problem? This problem can be caused by the lack of a separate live feed from the programmer to the switch in the Y plan, and relying on a link from the heating on feed.

Thanks for your answers but I have given up and have called a plumber in. It usually works so I am now guessing the head has gone on the motorised valve but we will see what he says.

Sponsored Links
You are not the first person to report those symptoms recently. See here. once you get it resolved, please let us know what the solution was. It may help others that follow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back