Heating coming on with water - but shouldn't - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo boiler and Randall 922 providing hotwater and heating both about 13 years old.

My heating has recently started to come on at the same time as the water, even though the thermostat is turned right down and the heating is set to the off position on the controller.

Do I have a faulty controller or is it something more complicated?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yes the pump will still run if you have taken the actuator off the brass valve.
now you have proved that the brass valve is not seized. as it turns.
put the actuator back on, with programmer only calling for hw.
what is the lever on the side pointing to w m or h ?

yes the pump will still run if you have taken the actuator off the brass valve.
now you have proved that the brass valve is not seized. as it turns.
put the actuator back on, with programmer only calling for hw.
what is the lever on the side pointing to w m or h ?

Sorry, can't see a lever on the side pointing to w m or h

But, when I turned the heating on, the motorised valve did move slightly in one direction. Then, having watched the motorised bit turning, with just the heating on, the flat part of the valve stem is almost in the horizontal position and with only the water on the flat part moves to about 45 degrees although it looks as though there is enough travel for the flat part of the stem to be almoast vertical.

If that makes any sense at all

providing its all moving when heating or hw selected the actuator is working ok.
all that can be wrong now is in the bottom of the brass valve is a rubber paddle that can wear or get muck blocking the port, which stops it shutting fully, so letting water by to the port that should be closed.
so you'll need to fit a new brass valve.

has this problem only just started.

providing its all moving when heating or hw selected the actuator is working ok.
all that can be wrong now is in the bottom of the brass valve is a rubber paddle that can wear or get muck blocking the port, which stops it shutting fully, so letting water by to the port that should be closed.
so you'll need to fit a new brass valve.

has this problem only just started.

This problem actually started some months ago, but I'm only just getting round to trying to sort it - sounds like I now need someone to fit me a new brass valve.

Many thanks for your help seco services

just check that when its all cold and you put just hw on is the heating pipe from the valve getting hot as well as the hw pipe then its letting by.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back