Heating & cooling my conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have bought a house with a conservatory which, mounted high up on the wall, used to have some sort of heating/cooling fan contraption which I'd like to replace.
There are two pipes coming out of the wall, which I assume are coming off the central heating and these fed into an electric fan which was oblong and around a metre wide. There were various settings on the fan (so old that most of the ink had worn off of the controls) but it seems that it was a cooling and heating fan.
I'm guessing that cold water might have been used to cool air and then blow it out and hot water to blow out hot air. Unfortunately the unit has been ripped out and dumped before I had the chance to see what it was called. Any ideas as to what it might have been and if they exist anymore so I can buy a replacement? The pipes are still there and have just been capped off to prevent leaking.
A split air conditioning unit is not a possibility and although an electric panel heater mounted on the dwarf wall would be fine for heating, it won't help with cooling.
Any ideas/advice would be most welcome.
Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
I think you are describing a Fan Convector probably a Myson hi-line, these will heat the air, they will not cool the air, A Split Comfort Cooling /Heating unit would be ideal, as it would keep you cool in summer, but as you say this isn't possible (I assume Cost), have a look at www.smithsenvironmental.co.uk, this company manufacture suitable fan convectors to replace what you have already, but.. they aint cheap, and you might find the split A/C looking more attractive ;)

Myson! That was the brand the old one was. You're a solid gold genius Boilerman2!!!!
As I live in Wales :cry: cooling it down in the summer isn't too much of a priority. Have looked into A/C but the way in which the conservatory is built and the positioning of the house in relation to neighbours makes the outlet piping and the external unit a non-starter, hence my plan to just replace like-for-like. I have a portable A/C unit for any days when the sun does come out in Wales.....
Thanks for the perfect answer.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back