heating for small cottage, with no mains gas supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I'm considering buying a small thatched cottage, 2 up, 2 down, which has no mains gas supply. I understand that thatched roofs are good insulators, so I'm pleased about that, but... I've lived all my life in houses with common-or-garden gas combi boilers, supplying conventional wall radiators so I'm slightly anxious / excited by the prospect of choosing an alternative. What ideas for a central heating system that's not powered by mains gas can you guys suggest? There's a decent amount of garden, too so a ground heat source pump isn't out of the question, but would sure make a reck of the lawn!

Sponsored Links
tanked gas or oil maybe .but of course you need top up deliveries and access for the delivery tankers.

While the thatch does provide good insulation they can allow cold air into the loft space when the wintery wind is strong. It depends on the way the roof has been thatched. The thicker the horizontal base layer the better.

base horizontal layer.jpg

Get a Master Thatcher to look at the roof and give you an appraisal of it's condition and how long before it will need maintance or re-thatching

Also get quotations for insurance costs before committing yourself to purchasing the cottage. Insuring a property with a thatched roof is expensive and on going.

Ground sourced heat pumps can be effective at heating a cottage. Depending on the geology of your garden a couple of deep bore holes may be more economical in effort and provide more than enough low grade heat for the pump. One succesful installation uses water pumped up from the orignal well, through the heat pump and returned to a new bore hole close to the well. That is on chalk.

Some people say underfloor heating ( UFH ) suits heat pumps better as it is a lower temperature system but installing UFH can be very expensive if the present floor is direct on the ground and ceiling height is too low to allow the floor to be raised.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like our property, (originally had storage heaters and open fires) I installed Oil Fired central Heating, Storage tank in garden.
Oil prices do fluctuate, best to top up in summer months or join a group that bulk buys Oil for Householders.
LPG Gas expensive

Definitely go oil-fired if you can find somewhere to put the tank.

Wood pellets and wet c/h solar thermal and a thermal store works well for me, get the thatch checked, insurance isn't to bad just have a look and budget for it

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back