Heating Inhibitor with a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody help, I have a combi boiler. Recently I installed a chrome towel rail in the bathroom, however within a year it had rusted quite badly. The manufacturers did change it although they recommended I use a central heating inhibitor. Looking up on the internet it recommends I put the inhibitor in the header tank, however because I have a combi boiler, I don't have a tank. Is the manufacturer talking rubbish, or do I need an inhibitor. If so how do I put it in the system.

Sponsored Links
probably too late to add inhibitor as you cannot inhibit was is already there

do a search on flushing central heating system

Thats the thing I havn't tried yet, will it work if I put the inhibitor into the new towel rail will the heating pump it around the system

you can squirt it through the vent on one of the rads (true) but it would have been easier to put it in while you were fitting the rail, before refilling and repressurising.

If you look at vendors of inhibitors you will see they sell a concentrale in a tube for this purpose.

edited: Yes you can, and yes it will.

You might consider using a chemical cleaner first to remove some of the old rubbish that the syst will contain.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
you can squirt it through the vent on one of the rads (true) but it would have been easier to put it in while you were fitting the rail, before refilling and repressurising.

If you look at vendors of inhibitors you will see they sell a concentrale in a tube for this purpose.

You might consider using a chemical cleaner first to remove some of the old rubbish that the syst will contain.

John how can inhibitor help if the system is sludged up to wotsit?

Thanks for that, I havn't fitted the new rail yet anyway, I will drain it and put the inhibitor into the rail before filling the system back up.

Cheers for that

corgiman said:
JohnD said:

John how can inhibitor help if the system is sludged up to wotsit?

There was quite a bit of muck come out when i drained the rail

then give it a chemical clean. at least. Inhibitor will stop it getting worse.

Adding a Magnaclean will trap the black sediment that remains (there will always be some). It wil wear out your pump and clog the boiler, may cause blockages if you don't clean it out.

you have to flush out the cleaner with all the muck it has washed out, so you would be tipping your inhibitor down the drain a week after putting it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back