Heating oil damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year had a Balmoral storage tank leak (just 5 years old). Replaced the tank, needless to say not with another Balmoral one. However some heating oil got under the foundations.
Now notice that the Utility room floor (which is insulated with foam between the concrete base and wooden flooring) has been very cold this winter.
Does anybody know if heaing oil has a terminal effect on foam insulation?
Any knowledge would be welcome

Sponsored Links
I dont think that heating oil penetrates more than about 20 mm into dense mass concrete as should have been used for foundations or floors.

A habitable room would have at least 50 mm of insulation in the floor screed.

Wood/laminate flooring is often fitted with thin plastic foam about 5 mm thick. Whilst it has a small insulation effect its not very significant.

I suspect that you have not noticed that we have had an extended period of very cold weather!

Tony

Anyway, if the house was built in the last 30 years or so, there will be a continous DPC under the concrete slab, probably polythene sheet, which will be oil-proof.

Sponsored Links
I've used expanded polystyrene to form openings/voids in concrete walls and floor slabs. The way they are sometimes removed is to pour petrol on them. Dissolves the foam very quickly.

Despite DPMembranes if kerosene comes into contact with exp polystyrene I think the effect will be the same.

Or perhaps your olfactory nerves have been damaged.

I would have thought that Balmoral would have been duty bound to cover the leaking tank, lost contents and any resulting damage. I know that Tyrell tanks operate a 10 year guarantee system and will certainly cover this lot if their tank is at fault

Failing that, your house insurance company should cover any problems with the house including a survey to determine if there is a problem with contamination of the foundations or fabric of the building.

Heating oil leaks can cause serious problems and it would be well worth getting a survey carried out.

Thanks for that but .............didn't work.

Balmoral offered a percentage based on the life of the tank from the time it left their Factory (not when it was put to use despite my proving that date conclusively). That worked out to about £80 and it would cost me £80 to get their "approved" inspector to visit and verify that the installation was to spec.

You may or may not get that cost back at Balmoral's sole discretion.

House insurance declined as did the NHBC Guarantee.

Because of the urgency of getting it sorted and stopping any possible polution I ha to foot the bill.

As in all things "Insurancy", the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

However do heed warnngs on Balmoral. Am still contemplaing a Small Claims Court action and will never go near them again

I was on a cource and the Balmoral tank came up because they reckon that 90% of the tanks are faulty, due to manu fault, installation faults. Its strange that you find these things out when your on a cource and not through the trade press.

Hm............................probably censored by the Trade Press lawyers for risk of being sued?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back