Heating oil line rules/regs Norrhern ireland?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I am wondering if the rules in Northern Ireland are different relating to oil compared to the rest of the U.K. and Ireland? Oftec seem to be the body who provides guidance for the GB and all of Ireland, however the way things are done here seems to be completely against oftec guidance in terms of oil line routes and entry to buildings. I know electricians self certify here and building control won’t even flag up if a socket is behind a
hob as an issue… Is it the same with oil work?? Do they leave it all down to the plumber to do
it correctly and let them self certify it has been done correctly??

Basically, most oil pipe entries to houses old and new are buried and enter the Houses under the exterior and interior finished levels so they are invisibe. Plastic tigerloop type devices are fitted and vented internally and no one bats an eyelid. Mine line currently comes in through a 50mm core hole with the mains water pipe (which is tight to a back inlet gully) and the line then runs 2.5m through the ground floor screed travelling through the kitchen wall to the utility.

I gather that the line should take the shortest possible route from tank to burner and should be visible entering the building and 300mm from other services- ie water pipes and drains…

building control in my area are the famous for being absolutely obsessed with finding fault yet all this gets ignored…

So my question is, how does this get passed by building control?? Or is it out of their jurisdiction and signed off by the plumber??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back