Heating on all night good or bad for Condensate pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this question makes sense
I've been keeping the heating on all night 12oC thro' the very cold spells, Today I noticed the 32mm condensate pipe was frozen with the condensate backed up to inside my garage, FYI (Ive a flexible pipe from the boiler dropping into a 32mm pipe inside the garage, the pipe outside must be 4 foot before if goes to the drain).
Now here's the question
If the heating wasn't on all night (which should be the coldest time) would the condensate pipe remain un
frozen?

Sponsored Links
The condensate pipe freezing depends upon a lot of things, where it's located, the route it takes (avoid horizontal runs), and how well it's insulated.

Unfortunately, condensate pipes do freeze on boilers that are only used in the daytime too.

The best solution is to re-route the pipe inside the building if at all possible. Pumps are available to do this if a gravity route is not acceptable, or, you could have electric trace heating fitted to the existing pipe. This is thermostatically controlled so would only operate when necessary and keeps the pipe just above freezing.

The pipe is less likely to freeze when it is warm, so I think that answers your question. Whether it actually freezes depends on many factors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back