Heating output for room with Bifold doors....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finding a BTU calculator for a regular room is easy, but finding one for an open plan kitchen/living/diner with a 5m bifold door is tricky!

Now, let's not go into this too much and ask me all the u values of everything. I don't know them. I just want a rough idea whether the rads I'm on putting in are sufficient.

I'll briefly explain that this room is part existed building, knocked through to a brand spanking new extension with internal thermal blockwork; cavity insulation and 6" kingspan in the ceiling. Bifolds are aluminium with a pretty standard double glazed glass.

To the left of the diagram is South.

Please have a look and see if my planned 2 x 6555 btu rads and 1 x 7478 btu plinth heater are adequate :)[/img]

Sponsored Links
Ok, somebody needs to help me and explain how to upload a picture first! I've uploaded to my album but I can't figure out how to get it on this thread?!

just treat it as 2 or 3 separate rooms ??

if the doors are open and there is any difference in temperature they will tend to average out

Sponsored Links
I'm not with you? The bifold doors lead to outside. There are no doors in the open plan.

ahhh thought it was to another room
i would just put it in as a double door and 1 or 2 large windows into the calculator to give an equivalent glass area

I there a BTU calculator you recommend. I just want to double check my figures. Aparantely is only need roughly 2000btu per zone. I the minute I'm planning on 6500btu per zone. Overkill? Or will it just heat it nice and quick? I know my boiler is capable heating them all (according to my plumber).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back