Heating pipe design and noise

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have spent a certain about of my life living in the UK and a certain amount living in Germany. Recently I have been reflecting on the tranquillity of the plumbing systems I lived within Germany. I have done some research on wastewater system design and I am gradually beginning to understand why so often wastewater there is so quiet despite the common use of internal soil pipes (eg. they use Geberit quiet systems a lot). However, it less clear to me how this is the case in heating. Generally, heating isn't noisy in the UK but very commonly you get a rushing noise when rads are on. There are noises like clicking and banging but for this post, I'm wondering specifically about the rushing sound. I have rarely encountered this in German homes with rads. I can't get my head around this difference. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Is it just designs with fewer pipe bends? Greater use of steel over less dense materials? Fewer air bubbles?

Sponsored Links
It's the velocity of water through the pipes which often causes the noise. In Germany there are much stricter rules about system design. Over here, installers tend to throw in what they think will work and turn the pump speed up to maximum rather than balancing everything correctly. This can result in noise and poor efficiency

I have encountered bad design there too but in this area of heating pipes it seems quite better. How does one reduce velocity? Wider copper pipes? less bends?

Sponsored Links
I have encountered bad design there too but in this area of heating pipes it seems quite better. How does one reduce velocity? Wider copper pipes? less bends?
Turn the pump speed down as low as it will go without affecting system performance. Putting in bigger pipes will also do it, but is rather more work!

The UK is about the most legislated place on Earth but we allow anyone from anywhere with zero knowledge to chuck in heating systems, the regulations are very rarely
enforced.....and the consciencious are driven out of installation work.
Couple that with a public that only want to spend the bare minimum on their heating/hot water and we end up with poor systems.

Turn the pump speed down as low as it will go without affecting system performance. Putting in bigger pipes will also do it, but is rather more work!
In my own house I don't think the pump pushes the heating system around. It seems to be mainly for the shower. It is a house over three levels. So I am at a loss what to do. I am doing some renovations in the next few months and will look out for places with very convoluted inefficient piping runs which could be made more gradual.

In my own house I don't think the pump pushes the heating system around.
That seems rather unlikely, and it wouldn't cause rushing water noises. It would have to be a very old system. Gravity hot water (ie convection through a coil in the HW cylinder) and pumped CH, used to be common , but even that went out some 50 years ago in favour of fully-pumped systems.

Thanks. I will look into the pump.

Below is an example of a 'cultural' difference I note. Most sinks I saw there use chrome piping, even ones that are not visible. I have no idea if chrome is better than plastic but it caught my attention.

20210513-155953.jpg

Metallic pipework is better than plastic, yes, but when you get up to waste pipe sizes it's considerably more expensive. A metre of plastic costs about £1, a metre of chrome plated metallic pipe costs about £35.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back