noise from pipes,like constantly filling tank??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I noticed that there was a filling of water noise in the bathroom which is directly above my worcester bosch water boiler in the kitchen.
The noise can be heard near the boiler and sink downstairs where i think the mains supply comes into the house.

It sounds the same as the noise you get after flushing the toilet and the cistern is filling, ie water rushing through the pipes.
I thought i may have a leak under the bath or sink but i cant find any signs of this,ie water coming down the walls(the bath pipe work is sealed behind a panel which i dont want to destroy if poss)

The central heating header tank is quiet but i dont believe it has anything to do with the heating system,more the mains supply area of the water system.

Sorry i cant be more precise.Would anything other than a leak cause this noise????

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the WC.

They sometimes have an overflow set up up within the flushing mechanism. This will flow constantly giving the sound of water running.

Try turning off the water at the stop tap, if the noise continues it could be the rising main in the property leaking under the floor.
A plumber friend of mine had a similar problem at a customers a few years ago he arrived to do a job asked what the noise was, and the customer said they'd had it for several years !
When he went under the floor to check it out it had washed away all the mortar from between all the sleeper walls !
Should be a simple job as if it was serious you'd know by now.

i have checked the cistern/wc.there is no water coming from anywhere that i can see and cistern water level is just below the overflow and seems to be as it should.I will try turning the water off under the sink and then outside(where the main stop valve is located) and report back with my findings,thanks both for the replys.

Sponsored Links
The stop cock under the sink only turns the hot water off up stairs and down plus the cold water down stairs

So I either have a separate cold water feed upstairs or the stop cock maybe in the wrong place? The main stop valve outside turns everything off which does stop the noise.

If I use the valve under the sink the noise stops downstairs but not up.
I cant find water leaking anywhere in the house but the noise is quite loud now and i cant isolate it because of the stop cock set up.

I believe the problem is with the cold/main water supply,but where?

Do i call a plumber or northumbrian water? please help

The stoptap under the sink should turn off all the water so that no more water will flow into your cistern.

Get a family member to turn on and off all taps etc while you listen for the source and report back.

the tap under sink does not turn the cold water supply upstairs off.Only the outside stop cock turns everything off.

Do you have a large tank (25-50 gal) in the loft? If so, this is probably providing cold water to the other taps and toilets. (You may have two tanks in the loft. The smaller one (4 gal) is for the central heating.)

The tap under the sink turns off the supply to the kitchen sink and to the tank in the loft. As long as there is water in the tank, you will get water coming out of the other taps, but the tank will not be replenished if the stop tap is off.

thanks for the instructurial reply mate it is VERY much appreciated.i do not have a large water tank,only the small one for the central heating and it is not making a noise at all.I know this must be a pain of a thread but i am trying to give as much info as poss.

ok,tried all taps,shower,toilet and cant find a culprit.the noise is constant and the only thing i am pretty certain of is that there is not a leak in the house.

If you can't find the source and there is no leak apparent I would quit worrying about it! :LOL:

Gasbanni,you were right! the leak was at a coupling between my garden wall and street.When the bloke from water company came out he actualy stopped the noise by poking a rod through the ground to the pipe(he didnt stop it on purpose!) So the coupling has been replaced free of charge and problem solved.Thanx all for the replys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back