Heating stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got up this morning and turned the heating on and the boiler did not ignite.

I checked to make sure that the photocell was working and that the boiler was sparking OK and it was.
I bled the pump to make sure there was a steady oil flow and there was.

The only thing that i can think of is that either the jet is blocked or else the the pump is not working or else the solenoid is broken that allows the oil to exit the pump.

Can any one tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree and point me in the right direction to diagnose any of these problems.

ie is there an easy way to find out if the pump or the solenoid is faulty or not? ( ie is there an easier way than disconnecting the jet and turning on the heating to see if oil is pumping out of the pump which i am sure there is)

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The solinoid is basically a coil of wire that becomes a electro magnet.
Disconnect it from mains supply and connect a continuity meter to the solinoid wires to test it.
I went as far as wiring up the pump and the solinoid from a seperate power source each with own switch so with boiler off I could switch on pump followed by the solinoid. This allowed me to see the oil spray from the jet. Or you could just operate the solinoid onlyand you'll hear it operate.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Even if the solenoid is clicking it may not be opening.

Oil boilers are pretty reliable!

Is there a spark at the ignition electrodes?

Since you are trying to repair it yourself that makes me think you probably have not had it professionally serviced?

Perhaps its something as simple as an empty tank, air in the supply line, a closed fire valve or a blocked oil filter?

Have you checked the oil pressure at the test point after the pump?

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back