Riello Oil Burner suddenly won't light

For those of you that are interested, a new control box fixed the problem. Thanks for all the contributions,
Peter

Sponsored Links
I know it old thread but this may help sombody
just had a similar problem today. Checked everything so just left with control box as suspect.
My burner is old ( 15years + ). I have a new Grant Vortex ready to install at end of season, so with nothing to loose I decided to open up the the control box.
My original training was in electronics and the circuit is pretty simple. I noticed that a 47uF 100v capacitor was bulging at the bottom and had in fact pulled one of the wires out of the circuit board. This type of failure in electrolytic capacitors dating from the late 90s is very common. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague I have a computer monitor that failed, just need 6 capacitors about 50c each to permanently fix.
Since electrolytic caps are not something you can pick up locally I scavenged around some discarded power suppliers and found one with a 47uF 50v cap. Worth trying , so I desoldered the cap from the power supply and fitted to the control box.
Burner fired up immediately. Zero cost so far but I might order up a cap with the correct voltage rating just in case.
I wonder how many of these control boxes are binned just for the sake of a 50c part?
Hope this helps somebody that does not want to spend any more on ageing kit
BTW tools required, small 25-30 watt soldering iron, some flux cored solder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back