Riello G2S Burner Not Firing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - i have a riello G2S burner on my boiler.

i think it ran out of oil - it was very low & wouldn't start so assumed out of oil.

refilled & bled without pump running - the pump but still wouldn't fire.

heres whats happening:

1) motor runs for about 20sec then system locks out.

2) no fuel is getting to the nozzle or air damper valve.

3) with bleed valve open & pump running fuel output same as without pump running.

4) cleaned fuel line filter - found inlet into it from tank was clogged.

5) removed pump - cleaned screen filter - no significant debris & pump rotates freely.

6) removed pump solenoid valve & found ok - can anyone explain its function?

any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Obviously there's no fuel getting to the pump......if there was, the air damper would open as its operated by oil pressure.
Check for other filter(s) and make sure the fire valve is open.
Can go get a free flow of oil to the pump, with the flexible pipe disconnected?
The solenoid coil on the pump opens an internal valve to allow fuel to the nozzle, and this is operated by the control box.
John :)

thanks guys - i'm actually getting fuel up to the pump as i bled fuel out from its bleeder screw.

i wondering now if the solenoid valve is not being activated - to test, could i remove from the pump & place it inside its coil in order to see it "visually" operate (or not) when i press the lock out button.

Sponsored Links
That should work - although the plunger movement isn't great.
With the Riello system, the coil gets one voltage to initially energise it, and then thats reduced to keep the valve open.
John :)

hi - i just found out that someone in my area (on gumtree) has a guaranteed reconditioned Riello RDB burner for sale at £80 - does anyone know if this will replace the Riello G2S i presently have?
also it seems like a good deal to me?

When you try to start the burner, loosen the bleed screw. Does the pump throw out more oil than when bleeding. If not, then running the pump dry has probably damaged it. If you have oil to the pump but no pressure to open the air shutter, then it is goosed.
the rdb should fit your boiler with no problem.

"oilhead" - sincere apologies - i hit the "ignore" button on your reply instead of the "quote"

on the question of running the pump dry - would lock out not have occurred before any real damage was done?

The burner may have re ignited itself several times with little oil in it, and also, how many times have you tried to restart it? ( be honest) This is an old pump that may have been on its last legs. Do the fest and check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back