Heating turns off after 30 minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have trawled the forums and FAQ's but cant find anything that might explain my problem. I'm a novice so go easy! :p

Problem
- When heating is called on by programmer the boiler fires and the rads heat up
- After about 30 minutes to an hour the boiler stops (unless there is a call for HW) and the rads cool down.
- If i turn the heating off at the programmer and on again after a short period it does not heat up again.
- The rads only heat up again once the heating/HW has been off at the programmer for a longer period e.g. overnight.
- The wall thermostat is clicking at the right temp point and the set temperature has not been reached when the rads cool down.

Additional Info
- I believe its classed as a conventional gravity system. PrimaB boiler in kitchen, Hot water tank in bathroom above and small tank in the loft.
- I thought it could be the pump - but i cant find the darn thing! Will i definately have one?
- The rads/towel rail in the bathroom heat ok and hot water is working. These rads come off the pipe that feeds through the HW tank and will heat up when only the HW is on so they might be on a different system?
- There is a 2-way Danfoss valve fitted on the pipe that exits the side of the HW tank (the bottom one) which i have tried setting to manual but it doesnt seem to have an effect.

I cant figure it out. The system starts up so i figure all the mechanical bits are working but its like something is telling the boiler that the required temp has been met. Could it be a faulty sensor that i'm not aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

Sponsored Links
I would look for another 2 port valve that could be controlling the ch.

It sounds as this has failed and the entire system is only working when there is a HW demand.

I would look for another 2 port valve that could be controlling the ch.

It sounds as this has failed and the entire system is only working when there is a HW demand.

Ok thanks, i'll have a look tonight. Any indication of where i should look? There's nowhere obvious i can see anything but i guess it could be under floorboards or in the kitchen roof space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back