Heating & Water problems on Vaillan Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Vaillant TurboMax Plus 824E boiler.

The problem is the heating/water only comes on when it want to regardless of what the timer is set to or if its on constant or not. If I have the it turned off, it will stay off, other than that it'll go on and off as it pleases.

Pressing the information button on the front of the boiler, it displays S.55 on the LCD, the pressure on the boiler reads about 2 Bar (boiler is currently off). The LCD shows the temperature at 21C, but if I turn a tap on, this will drop to aroun 10C

Hope soneone could suggest what may be wrong with this...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
what controls are you using?

How old is the boiler?

Have you always had the problem?

Sponsored Links
I think the boiler is about 4-6 years old, not sure exactly as it was here when I moved into the house.

I had the problem about this time last year and a plumber said it was not enough pressure (it used to be no more than 1 bar) but this appears to be ok now.

One thing I have noticed, if I take the top cover off so that I can see the pilot light, you can here the boiler trying to ignite, but you don't see a spark like I could before. You can here the clicking noise, then this stops for a while, and you can here what sounds like a motor running. Also, there's 3 lights just under the LCD, the one on the right is flashing green at the moment.

What do you mean by controls?
The thermastat I have is a Honeywell and is set to 25C and the timer is a Switchmaster SM300

The three indicator lights below the LCD are.
Left= Red lockout, when illuminated boiler is at lock out.
Middle= Yellow flame indicator, when illuminated main burner is ignited.
Right= Warmstart indicator , when illuminated Warmstart switched on.
Flashing = There is either demand for hot water or warmstart is on

This boiler has an automatic ignition (no pilot light)

Water pressure should be 1.5 bar, but should work ok on 1 bar.

Are you now saying the boiler fails to ignite at all?

bobw1956 said:
Are you now saying the boiler fails to ignite at all?

Yes, at the moment it's not igniting at all, it's been off all day so far. Yesterday it was off until 8pm.

open hot water tap, press info button,

what is the display showing ie; S??

and are you sure the original status was F55

No, it can't be saying S55, that one isn't in the manual! :rolleyes:

If it is trying to light but not making it, then 'fraid it's corgi territory.

Sorry Bob I hadn't seen your reply - I was searching for S55!

APS is Air Pressure Switch, which detects that the fan is running. Common fault.
Diverter valve is what sends the boiler water to the radiators or to heat the tap hot water (separate heat exchanger). They "leak" and let water to the wrong place, so rads heat during the hotwater keep-hot activity.

Air Pressure Switch,,Known problem with this boiler.
If you go into the diagnostics go to D24 1= closed 0= open.

as was said previously you need a corgi re

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back