HEATING WONT SWITCH OFF ! AGAIN!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can see this has been covered lots of times before, but I can't get to the bottom of this problem. The heating comes on even with the thermostat turned down and when the CH & HW is turned off at the controls. The only way to make sure it is off is to switch off the power supply to the control box. We have replaced the 3 way motorised valve and synchro. Any ideas what the problem is?

We have a rather old Gloworm boiler in the garage and Potterton control panel in the airing cupboard upstairs, brand new drayton 3 way motorised value and synchro - Hot water tank has a theromostat on the front and there is a cold water tank in loft, also have a acl thermostat in the living room which clicks when turned up or down.

Sponsored Links
Frost stat?

Is there a "call for heat"?
If not, shoot it.

"Bravehart" is uaually spelt "Braveheart" !

Without a proper examination of the wiring on YOUR system, I cannot make any guesses whats wrong.

Whilst some like to list all the possible causes, to me thats not of any value.

Tony

Sponsored Links
From a nupty or is that not usually spelt numpty

And what is uaually

From a nupty or is that not usually spelt numpty

And what is uaually

Thanks for you contribution, most helpful! Thought this forum was for comments/help with Plumbing and Central Heating. Have you nothing better to do but criticise people you don't know?

Without a proper examination of the wiring on YOUR system, I cannot make any guesses whats wrong.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Any ideas on what I can do/check to identify the problem?

"Bravehart" is a play on my surname "Hart".

Thanks for you contribution, most helpful! Thought this forum was for comments/help with Plumbing and Central Heating. Have you nothing better to do but criticise people you don't know?

1 namsags post wasnt aimed at you

2 he did tell you what to check exept the gestapo mods took it out last night

3who gives a toss about your username :rolleyes:

You need to have the wiring properly checked to/from the 3 port valve.

Have you checked the valve body is not stuck mid position or similar?

Also don't forget the golden rule no1. Never assume a new part is working correctly just because it is new.

Especially with this make of valve.

Tony

:LOL:

thats quality! i could tell ya what may be wrong, but iam not going to. what was the point of even replying to the ops post? :rolleyes:

1st thing id check is that the valve is sat in the hw only position and it isnt getting a demand for ch

yet another usefull and enlightening post :ro :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ll:
agile, got to love you, from reading your posts i get a picture of a real grumpy old heating engineer, bit like a gas man version of norris from Corri :LOL: :LOL: bet apprentices love working with you

I'd be looking for that FROST STAT first (after all the boiler is in the GARAGE???) ;)

He does not say where he is in the country.

Here in London its 24.3° indoors and 18.2° outside and perhaps about 20.0° in the garage.

If it was a proper frost stat it would not be adjustible that high but it is a good possibility and certainly something to check. But the OP has not said that it comes on at the coldest time of the day which is often about 5.30 am

I dont see much point in listing all the possibilities of what MAY have caused his fault. The only way to diagnose is by carefully checking the connections and switch conectivity.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back