heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
don,t know if this is the write page but i,m want to fit a new dbl rad where there is only a single one is there a easy way of extending the pipes new rad is an extra 50mm off the wall i dont want a plumber ripping me off is it just a case of draining the system then cutting the pipe and connecting some longer bits of pipe :confused:

Sponsored Links
No this is wrong section, you should have posted in plumbing.

Yes , drain , extend, couple of elbows may do it, for a perfect job you will need to lift board and reposition pipe.

last time i had a plumber he quoted me £150 to fit a rad said it would take a morning to do it because he had to drain the system i was at work the wife said he showed up at 8.15 and left at 9.20 :evil: do you think thats ok

Sponsored Links
You thought the job was worth £150 and engaged him to do it. Neither of you knew how long it would take. He did it quicker than either of you thought. If you're satisfied with his work, where's the problem?

If you had agreed to pay him by the hour, he may well have taken all morning... ;)

If i had a plumber who turned up on time, did the job quicker than I thought and all for the agreed price, I'd make sure that his number was written on the fridge door!! :D

You thought the job was worth £150 and engaged him to do it. Neither of you knew how long it would take. He did it quicker than either of you thought. If you're satisfied with his work, where's the problem?

If you had agreed to pay him by the hour, he may well have taken all morning... ;)

If i had a plumber who turned up on time, did the job quicker than I thought and all for the agreed price, I'd make sure that his number was written on the fridge door!! :D

£150 an hour bet the trade love havin there number on your fridge :LOL:

And you think he has these kinda jobs every hour of every day?

Don't think of it as £150/hr, think of it as £150 to hang a radiator, then it doesn't feel so bad.

Did you get quotes from anyone else? If so, were they higher? If not, did you feel that £150 was the right price? IMHO It's thinking that you could have got a better deal that's eating you up.

I know people who were perfectly happy paying their cleaners an agreed amount to clean their premises. Then they discovered that the cleaners weren't on site for as long as they'd said. But my point was that they were happy to pay that rate for the work that was being done. No complaints from either side... Now, if the work was done badly, or if your radiator falls off the wall, thats a different matter! :evil:

Oh come on. Think about what you write, please.
Firstly, do bear in mind that you are coming here asking for professionals to offer you free advice.

Next, do the *real* maths on the topic that you describe. A tradesman may go and price ten jobs. Each of these may take 30 minutes on the customer's property.
And 30 minutes travel each way, so 90 minutes all in.

And writing up the quote and dealing with follow on questions.

For these ten quotes he may get a single job so he drives to that job (you're not paying travel costs, I take it?) Maybe 30 minutes, maybe 90 minutes each way.

Some jobs. like yours, go well and he completes the work and finishes early or on time.
Other jobs don't go well - screw threads are stripped, furniture needs to be moved out of the way, there's a faulty widget and he needs to leg it to Wickes or the local trades outlet.
Are you going to entertain him asking for another two hours of effort cos it was trickier than he first thought?

So, finally, he does what you ask him for and charges you £150. And you whip out your Excel spreadsheet and calculate the he must be earning £200,000 by ripping off his unsuspecting customers.
It doesn't work like that - a £100 per hour tradesman does not earn £200k (otherwise we'd all be doing that). If you earn £20 an hour and get paid £40,000 per year that's because your boss is happy to pay you for all your teabreaks, "thinking" time and all the time you put into trying to win the next contract.
It doesn't work that way for tradespeople - they get paid *just* for the hours that they physically work on a customer project. And if they are self-employed then they don't get paid for being sick or for taking holidays.

So, next time, figure out whether paying someone £150 for hanging a radiator is a bargain compared to you learning how to do it and buying all of the required tools. That is the only important calculation - not a flawed estimate of a tradesperson's earnings.

And I'm not an electrician, a plumber or a tradesperson. And I'm lucky enough to have an employer who pays for my thinking time, holidays and sick leave. Much like yourself, I suspect.

Oh come on. Think about what you write, please.
Firstly, do bear in mind that you are coming here asking for professionals to offer you free advice.

Next, do the *real* maths on the topic that you describe. A tradesman may go and price ten jobs. Each of these may take 30 minutes on the customer's property.
And 30 minutes travel each way, so 90 minutes all in.

And writing up the quote and dealing with follow on questions.

For these ten quotes he may get a single job so he drives to that job (you're not paying travel costs, I take it?) Maybe 30 minutes, maybe 90 minutes each way.

Some jobs. like yours, go well and he completes the work and finishes early or on time.
Other jobs don't go well - screw threads are stripped, furniture needs to be moved out of the way, there's a faulty widget and he needs to leg it to Wickes or the local trades outlet.
Are you going to entertain him asking for another two hours of effort cos it was trickier than he first thought?

So, finally, he does what you ask him for and charges you £150. And you whip out your Excel spreadsheet and calculate the he must be earning £200,000 by ripping off his unsuspecting customers.
It doesn't work like that - a £100 per hour tradesman does not earn £200k (otherwise we'd all be doing that). If you earn £20 an hour and get paid £40,000 per year that's because your boss is happy to pay you for all your teabreaks, "thinking" time and all the time you put into trying to win the next contract.
It doesn't work that way for tradespeople - they get paid *just* for the hours that they physically work on a customer project. And if they are self-employed then they don't get paid for being sick or for taking holidays.

So, next time, figure out whether paying someone £150 for hanging a radiator is a bargain compared to you learning how to do it and buying all of the required tools. That is the only important calculation - not a flawed estimate of a tradesperson's earnings.

And I'm not an electrician, a plumber or a tradesperson. And I'm lucky enough to have an employer who pays for my thinking time, holidays and sick leave. Much like yourself, I suspect.

wow that really came from the heart i think i,ll leave it at that we all have our opinions and beg to difer :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back