heatline boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my heatline combi boiler,had a leak,phoned ins,they sent engineer out,he said it was the heat exchanger,waited for part,he replaced it,went away,3 hrs later,bedroom and kitchen flooded,got other engineer out,he thought it was same problem but found it was the plastic o ring on the flow switch had gone,problem sorted but i,m left with sorting damage out,we both pensioners,so the ins want us to pay £350 excess,can any 1 help.me to sort this out,who was responsible ?please any help gratefully apreciated thank you john,plus it looked like seal had gone on heat exchanger because water from o ring was hitting heat exchanger and spurting off,but when engineer first replaced the heat exchanger,the o ring must have broken off more,i.e causing a bigger volume of water to escape,Sorry if i never exp properly.reason it never caused more damage was,i turned all water suply off to boiler,as soon as wife found towels wet underneath it,it was only when 2 engineer fixed,wat he thought was problem,that water was turned back on,then when he went,my son noticed that the needle was on its lowest so he just filled it up with filling loop,and left it,then thats when the water escaped

Sponsored Links
yes it's the first installer that caused the leak & it's his insurance that should be paying not yours, if both installers were from the same company then it's the company insurance you claim off of

Hang on CBF, it had a leak and thats why the first engineer was called.

Its the owner's boiler and I dont see why any of the engineers can be held responsible. Neither of them caused the leak! It was pre existing!

To the OP, its a very cheap boiler and they are not very reliable. Although leaks are not their main problem its always a possibility.

Tony

Tony read it again, boiler had a leak, engineer replaced the hex, 3 hrs later bedroom & kitchen flooded, b1oody sure it's the 1st engineers responsibility

Sponsored Links
Yes, I did read it !

The first engineer replaced the HE. But that was wrongly diagnosed and the original leak was still present because he had not done a repair to it.

So my conclusion is that the cause of the second leaking was still the unrepaired original leak !

I am always ready to blame engineers if I think they are at fault. In this case all the first one is guilty of is not correctly diagnosing the fault. I am guessing they came from Homeserve or a similar boiler cover firm. Problems correctly diagnosing faults seems to be a feature of that firm.

Of course the OP could try to get Homeserve (?) to cover his insurance excess. But the damage was surely caused by the first leaking before they had been to the boiler?

Seems to be just a case of wanting someone else to pay it for him.

Tony

I will blame whoever is at fault, thats why i seem to get into a few disagreements on other places as at least one guy on here will testify, if the OP is being honest then the way i read it is, the OP had a leak (no meantion of damage), RGI came out said it's the hex, replaced that & in doing so made the leak alot worse causing damage to two rooms, wether or not he misdianosed the orginal leak is neither here nor there, the fact is that after he left the leak was alot worse therefore as he was the last one to touch it then the cost of damage is down to him or his co

I dont think that even a Homeserve engineer would walk away from replacing the HE if the boiler is still leaking.

Therefore I conclude that the original unrepaired leak restarted.

I dont see why the first leaking did not cause any damage.

Furthermore, and we dont have any real details, if it was system water th volume to leak is rarely more then 5-10 litres until its depressurised.

Of course it could actually be the sec HE and it could well be mains water leaking when the pressure is high for all we know.

Its a pity the OP has not stated the situation clearly!

I dont think that even a Homeserve engineer would walk away from replacing the HE if the boiler is still leaking.

Furthermore, and we dont have any real details, if it was system water th volume to leak is rarely more then 5-10 litres until its depressurised.

Of course it could actually be the sec HE and it could well be mains water leaking when the pressure is high for all we know.

The engineers were from pro-tec local company

The engineers were from pro-tec local company
It was a ring,plastic on brass in front of heat exchanger,but the water was coming out of this and hitting heat exchanger,so to the naked eye it looked like the heat exchancher seal had gone,but the 3rd engineer thought it was the heat exchanger till he found broken plastic bits

yes Tony i agree more info from the OP would help, however if it was indeed homeserve (although we don't know that yet), it wouldn't surprise me as the microgenius i had a prob with was last looked at by homeserve & they left the fan loose no sercuring screw & a split gasket.

The leak must have got worse when it was filled up,not realy clued up on this,but watched all 3 work,and for water on both ocasions to hit heat exchanger in same place,seams to me it was same fault all 3 times,

so all three engineers from the same company, so ultimately it's down to the company to pay for damage, i can't see the OP is at fault at all, all they did was re-fill the heating system, it should have been fully tested before the engineers left, interesting that 3 diff engineers from the same co were sent i would have thought it would have been the same guy (is this maybe lack of knowledge on the engineers part to correctly dianoise the orginal leak)

reason being i turned feeds of soon as wife found towels in cuboard under boiler soaking,she was going for a bath,phoned my nepew up who is gorgi,he told me wat to do,so this stoped water from doing any more damage,thanks

just like to thank all who took time out to help in this situation,getting bafled by the gas company who done work,all blaming it od dif fault that original 1 they were called out to so no further on,just have to keep at them,i no in my own mind what prom was,being a plumber,not corgi,for over 35 yrs,but thank you all,god bless

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back