Heatline C28 CH and DHW issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.... bit of an essay here but i want to give you as much info as possible!

I have a Heatline C28 combi, installed approx 2 years ago by a corgi engineer (i have seen certificates and have copy of gas saftey cert, i work in a letting agents so know what i'm looking at is all above board).

We moved in 2 months ago and not sure if its ever worked properly (its only just got cold enough to use it).

HW: temperamental, some taps run hot then cold, some just dont get as hot as they should, mixer shower and tap closest the boiler work perfectly. Boiler fires up when hot tap on and stays fired till you turn it off. With problem taps, the water heats slightly, then cools again, then heats, then cools then finally after 2-3 mintues gets hot. Doesnt seem to be any change on the boiler when this is going on.

CH: fires up as normal either when in the "on" position or in timer function. However, LED's quickly cycle from 30 up to 70 (within about 90 seconds), so it turns itself off again. Off for approx 5 mins then fires up again. Some rads are OK in temp, not as hot as they should be, but bearable, others are barely luke warm.

Corgi reg engineer was called about a month and a half ago to top floor rads not heating at all, cleared an air lock on the system and bled all rads. I cant be sure as we werent using the heating much then, but CH seemed fine before then (apart from the cold two rads)

A week later we first noticed the main problem above, they came out, said it was the thermostat then vanished for two weeks to wait for the part which supposedly had to come from Sweden (is this right or can it be sourced from the UK?). They finally fit it a week and a half ago, and it seemed ok until yesterday, but in truth havent noticed if it definately solved the problem or not, there was also a leak on the system (discovered and fixed last week) due to a nail through one of the pipes. We couldnt fill the boiler for a couple of days (water pouring though downstairs neighbours ceiling), so im not sure if replacing the thermostat made any difference or not

Also, i'm a bit concerned about saftey as well, when the contractor came out to fit the part he noticed that the condensing valve doesnt seem to lead anywhere (except into the back of one of my kitchen units, where there is no sign of water or steam damage) is this a problem? I'm not an engineer (obviously from my descriptions) but surely a condensing boiler NEEDS to condense to work properly?!?! could this be the problem? Also just as an aside, recently (since the air lock was removed) all the pipes seem to be clicking really loud, ALL the time... again not sure if this is a problem or not but thought id mention it!

so far on this site and others have seen suggestions of:

diverter valve, flow and return valves(not sure if this is the same thing), air lock and therms (obviously not this as its been replaced).

Any suggestions or advice would be great, i only rent my flat so will be getting contratcors and my landlord involved, but so far theyve been about as usefull as a fart in a hurricane, so i'd like to be prepared when they come!!!

cheers

Sponsored Links
where do you live?

your hot water problem is most likely to be a plumbing issue and not one with the boiler. if one tap works then all taps should work.

your CH issue sounds like a circulation problem. simply it cant move the heat away from it self fast enough and it is over heating and short cycling. do you know how clean your system is? the pipe sizes in your system? this boiler can be range rated so it would be a good idea to turn the ch power down to better match your systems design and size(being only a flat)

don't know much about Sweden as heat line is a Turkish make :LOL: i have tons of spares so never had problem.

We live in a second floor apartment, and the tap that really doesnt work is up the attic, so i kinda guessed it might be a plumbing/ pressure issue.

as to the cleanliness of the system i havent got a clue. Theres a sticker on the front to say its been treated with a chemical, but we've also had to refill the system a few times, and i've been told (how true it is i dont know) that the oxygenated water can gunk up the system??

pipe size,again not a clue, from working in a letting agents and wandering round houses, it doesnt LOOK any smaller than on other properties....

we've tried the heating on a number of settings ranging from high to low and it doesnt seem to make any difference, the flat is also quite big, and because its over two floors is more like a small house...

also the problem only statred about a month ago, we'd been in for two months then and hadnt had any problems before that either with water or heating. when they came to fit the thermostat it did seem to work ok for a few days.....

theyre due to come round today so i guess we'll see what they come up with next....

i mean where in the country you live :rolleyes:

as for the output of your boiler, i live in a large 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom detached house and the CH output is only set to 15kw...now you live in a flat with a boiler that comes out the factory set at 28kw for CH....

you need a competent heating engineer to have a look at your system. the most likely think is crap blocking up something leading to poor circulation. a problem which is compounded most likely by a boiler set/rated to high for your system.

range rating the boiler down with put less stress on the boiler and lead to a longer life. also range rating a boiler have nothing to do with what temp you set the boiler :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
LOL i'm in the UK, woops!!

I'll pass youre comments onto the engineer when they come round.

thanks for the help

oh dear..... i live in liverpool. just outside the city centre...

and yes the landlord (or their developers) put a nail though the pipe when putting the floor boards back down....

ah well as the saying goes you pay peanuts you get monkeys..... only wish i paid peanuts for my rent.....

apparently the contractor didnt replace the themorstat last time he came round, he cleared the filters... why i had to wait two weeks then im not sure.... hes just collected my keys so i'll see what happnes

and thanks again for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back