Heatproofing ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey.

Is 12mm ply generally regarded as 'heat-proof'? (as in for an oven housing)

If not, what can be done to heat-proof it? I've seen some sticky back foil stuff in the sheds to protect the underside of wood worktops from the heat of an oven opening. Would that work?

Sponsored Links
Its as resistant to heat as MFC (Melamine coated chipboard) that most carcases are made from.

You can buy class 1 fireresistant ply and class 0 & 1 FR MDF but the standard ply will be OK but 12mm is a bit on the thin side as most ovens need to be fixed with screws that go into the front face of the carcase I would go upto 18mm.

Jason

Top banana massa! Me velly glatefoo.

I'm making the kitchen units from 2x3 and 12mm ply. Going for a chunky monkey style that the mrs rather fancied in Ikea. Got all the units made so far apart from the oven housing. The front of the oven will screw into the 2x3 rather nicely. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to find a big-ole pile of ash after the first cook-off! :eek:

Cheers much.

Sponsored Links
Jasonb said:
The 3x2 will burn before the ply anyway :LOL:

Jason

Ooh 'ekey thump!
:confused:
Now that's lobbed a whole new question up there! Is the 3x2 going to be ok surrounding the oven door opening? I know it's not exactly going to be right by the blazing fires of hell or 'owt, but is there anything I need to do to protect it?

Do tell, Uncle Scrit. :LOL:

Under normal use softwood will be fine as will the ply. If a tray of fat catches fire you will damage whatever the carcases are made from ;)

Jason

Phew!

Was fairly sure the whole thing was unlikely to burst into flames under normal use, but it's nice to have my suspicions confirmed! :D

Cheers all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back