Heavily overgrown garden

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

I need to clear a heavily overgrown garden; Briers, extremely thick tufts of grass and Gorse at the edges. I planned to level with a strimmer and then take a mower to it.

However my two stroke petrol strimmer couldn't make a dent in it. Access is tricky so I can't get machinery in.

And advice, would a brush cutter help here?

Ray

Sponsored Links
Thats exactly what you do need, Ray......but watch your feet :eek:
A circular saw blade on the end of a strimmer shaft - needs to be seen to be believed!
Dramatically effective though.
John :)

Thanks John,

The local hire place does them for €30 a day ... Is there specific safety equipment that I should use to preserve my feet, I am quiet attached to them; ringmail, chainmail????

Ray

i would worry more about having stones shot at you than being cut by th blade mate!

Sponsored Links
A good thick pair of trousers, some steel toed boots and a decent face shield are all you need.

There is a bit of a knack to using a brush cutter but you'll soon get the hang of it. Spend a while getting the harness set up at the right height etc.

Try and be systematic and work in one direction.

I would glyphosate first and leave for a while so it can act. Otherwise you'll you have a lot of living roots left. Glyphosate does not kill bramble in my experience, but it will hurt other weeds including couch grass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back