Heavy ceramic sink into 700mm kitchen cabinet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm installing a single 700mm kitchen cabinet with 2 doors into a small utility room conversion. The sink is too big in my opinion (shouldn't have asked the other half for her preference!). Next task is to cut out the worktop to accommodate the sink. This isn't a problem in itself and I know that I'll need to cut the cabinet back panel to let the sink drop in. However, being a 700mm cabinet it has a 60mm deep pillar/post in the middle at the front, partly for the doors to close against and (I guess) partly for support of worktop/sink etc.

If I was going to cut out only the back panel and the front cross strut, leaving the central pillar untouched, to allow room for the sink it would look pretty silly, there would be a big worktop lip at front and virtually no lip at the back. The only way I can think of to make this look reasonable is to cut a chunk off the top rear side of the mid/front support pillar, allowing the sink to be mounted further forward. This seems like a really bad idea to me.

The hatched pencil lines in the image show the area that I think would have to be removed to sensibly accommodate the sink. Obviously the strut above would also have to be cut to match.

Any suggestions appreciated. Is this sort of hack common and acceptable or is it a definite 'don't do it!'

The sink and the cabinet were sold together as part of a Howden's plan. There are other errors in the plan though so it's possible this was another cock up.
Thanks, Rob

IMG_0329.JPG

Sponsored Links
No, that's not uncommon, although I'd probably add some bracing below the top bearer (a couple of neatly cut pieces of 150 or 200mm white MFC or Contiboard fixed vertically between the "gable ends" and the centre post). I'd also seal all cut edges in that unit, including factory edges with a layer of white or clear silicone.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back