Options on joining two lengths of straight worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am planning on making part of my garage into a utility/laundry room. Nothing special, just a few wall cabinets and worktop over washing machine and dryer. My question relates to the worktop. I have a spare 600mm base unit, which I am intending to use as an under-sink cabinet. Washing machine and dryer are both 600mm, give or take, so 1800mm in total. I'll need around a 2m length of worktop. Rather than go to B & Q etc and buying a 3m off-the-shelf worktop I am hoping to be able to join two cut-offs I have left from when I had a kitchen fitted last year. I have an 700mm length and a 1400mm length. Could I fit these together just using fixing plates and maybe a jointing strip? Maybe attach an end slab under the joint for additional support?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
use biscuits and a decent glue/silicone.
then yes use a cleat for support.

You can join over the 600 unit [for strength] with simple jointing plates or even a strip of mdf below screwed and glued, silicon in joint and apply a weight on top of joint while it sets to prevent buckling upwards. A bodge job but if its in garage ok.Joint edges need to be very square and clean.

You can join over the 600 unit [for strength] with simple jointing plates or even a strip of mdf below screwed and glued, silicon in joint and apply a weight on top of joint while it sets to prevent buckling upwards. A bodge job but if its in garage ok.Joint edges need to be very square and clean.
Many thanks. The problem with this solution is that the joint will be below sink/draining board.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back