Heavy granite wall tiles on plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys. I have bought some 300x300mm granite tiles with the intention to tile my shower cubical. When I collected them I was amazed at the weight of them (10mm thick) and queried the suitability with the salesman but he assured me they are suitable for both wall and loor and that the new plasterboard wall would support the weight.
The wall is a new stud partition with timber 600mm centers using 12mm plaster board and plastered over.
Can anyone advise/assure me that this will be sufficient to take the weight of the tiles before I start ?
Thanks in advance for any sensible responses.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Absolutely. Screw the plasterboard to the studs a maximum of 12" (300mm) apart and waterproof (tank) the shower enclosure prior to tiling. Hope this helps? Ian @ JRHConstruction.

Thank you both for your replies. That has given me the confidence to do the job now. I must admit I had never heard of "Tanking" before but once I read up on it I bought a kit today and started to install it this evening.
I'll post some pictures once finished. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Un-skimmed plasterboard has a tile + adhesive weight limit of 32kg per square metre. Most tanking kits also have a circa 30kg limit.

If the tiles are heavy you'd be better of with boards such Marmox/Wedi/PCS/ etc. They have very high weight limits and are waterproof so don't need tanking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back