Heinz don't do fireplaces...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Thought I'd update for those that are interested, and those that need inspiration :)
I posted recently about opening up my fireplace, and I'd like to share the story! So here it is...
This is how we started, I peeled off the plaster to reveal a pretty rotten arch, and accepted that we needed a lintel...
DSC_0146.JPG

I got to the point of soon needing support but had to call it a night, so decided to leave the end of the arch in and finish with leveling the floor a little.
"Heinz don't do fireplaces, but if they did they'd look a little like this... "
DSC_0161.JPG

The next day came the support. No acros in this house so utilised an old joist...
DSC_0165.JPG

Finally I got to install my lintel! After lots of mortar and slate for packing I was left with this...
DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

Needless to say I'm pretty chuffed with the outcome! Putting in the hearth tomorrow then just need to do some finishing off :)
I just wanted to say thank you for all the advice I received when I was contemplating the project, I'm so glad I went for it! I think my diy level may be promoted from "pretty good" to intermediate now..?
I also hope this inspires others!!
Jackie :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you! I'm still in awe this morning!
I was so close to paying someone to do it having never done anything on this scale, I'm so glad I didn't! I think the pride of doing it yourself is priceless :)
I don't think I'd have been brave enough if it weren't for the advice and reassurance from this forum. This is my new favourite website! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back