Helicopter and crane.

Sponsored Links
Don't they have some kind of sat nav that tells them where the tall structures are?

Sponsored Links
But they don't work in the fog. Neither would radar pick a crane jib up.

Just like you get speed camera warnings on a sat nav - why not something similar for aircraft?

But they don't work in the fog. Neither would radar pick a crane jib up.

Just like you get speed camera warnings on a sat nav - why not something similar for aircraft?

Hight measurement does not rely on Eyes, so just fly higher than the highest building in London and you will miss it.
Seriously though Joe, I realise it is a lot more complicated than that, missing flight paths to Heathrow etc. There is certainly a lot more to this story than meets the eye. He was a very experienced highly respected Helicopter Pilot who just would not make the kind of error that happened here, Maybe hight measuring instruments were at fault or may be a hundred other complex variables. The whole thing is a tragedy that should never have happened and it will come to light what happened in due course.

Some guy on the news said that the crane operator should have started work at 8am but was late for work. If he had worked for the company I used to work for they would have congatulated him for not getting killed then docked his wages.

Looking at the weather reports from London City and Heathrow for this morning it was not the place to be in a helicopter or a crane !

Clouds at 100 ft, -3C at ground level, freezing fog. Dodgy dodgy weather. Best place to be if you want to cross London when it's like that is in the tube.

You can't fly a helicopter through the tunnels, the blades are too wide. :rolleyes:

Looking at the weather reports from London City and Heathrow for this morning it was not the place to be in a helicopter or a crane !

Clouds at 100 ft, -3C at ground level, freezing fog. Dodgy dodgy weather. Best place to be if you want to cross London when it's like that is in the tube.

Not when your on the roof of a house in Almedia St, Islington. Id rather drive and take my roof ladders. Being a non-tredesperson (according to peter perfection) the leadwork was not too bad. Hell, I no nuffin.... aint va la'in word 4 led called plumb?

Gave up working around there when the parking tickets and clamping scam was costing more than a days pay :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back