converting my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a two bedroom detached bungalow with an attached garage..
i want to convert the garage to a third bedroom so it will look like this....

27774588904_2f766c6f38_c.jpg

by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

the garage has a concrete floor slab and a trussed roof with loft space
there is water and electricity and a convenient waste stack out the back of the garage wall
i propose leaving the rear 2M of the garage to remain as a laundry area as it is now
looking inwards the right hand wall of the garage is single block with a pier half way down its length...approx 7M
the garage is around 3M inside measurement
the rear wall between the bedroom and the laundry area would be lightweight insulated wall the left hand wall is the common cavity wall of the house.
the boiler room within the house is half way down the left hand side and i reckon i can get a radiator on the garage side for heating
i want to create an en suite in a corner and envisage using a saniflow for the toilet
it would be good if i dont have to raise the garage floor level too much as there are doors to the kitchen: and the garden which opens inwards
any pointers and suggestions especially on the floor and saniflow welcomed
the electrical consumer units are in the garage just under the roof truss on the left hand wall...they are 3 rather dated ones and i will have them replaced for just one to take new wiring
the garage has power and lighting, and hot and cold water supplies for the existing laundry area

see pics below

GD3 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

GD4 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

GD2 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

GD1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

thanks in advance
geof

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
saniflow seem to do a system where i might be able to connect shower, sink and toilet to the same outflow to the stack.
need to investigate up to date floor and wall insulating boarding
similarly loft insulation which doesnt need to be so thick
drawing ready for enquiry to see if i need any planning permission
cheers
geof

ps does anyone have any input on this thread...

Use the Saniplus, install it so that it is easily accessible for maintenance, follow Saniflo`s (No w) 10 Golden Rules and get the fall on the pipe from shower to pump right, finally respect the limitations of these pumps.

Use the Saniplus, install it so that it is easily accessible for maintenance, follow Saniflo`s (No w) 10 Golden Rules and get the fall on the pipe from shower to pump right, finally respect the limitations of these pumps.

thanks...that is the key item i think here...the rest the builders and BI will probably tell me
but getting a shower, wash basing and wc going through the same piping would be good..
you say respect the limitations...ie dont shower and flush the toilet etc?
that would sound sensible to me if the pump will handle only one at a time??
glad for your input
cheers
geof

ps...my waste pipe goes under the garage slab and picks up the outlet from the house toilet just in front of the garage door..
there is a stack at the rear of the garage and the washing machine and dryer outlets go into that via a saddle.
i expect the saniflo can be connected to that without surcharging to the top of the stack which is about 4 metres high...its a bungalow
the outfall from the house does go down a slope.
??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
By limitations I meant remember that is only designed for normal toilet paper not some which are more like kitchen roll tissue and the killer is wet wipes of any kind even the ones with flushable on the front of the packet in big lettering !

Take into account water flows in to the pump they do not suck ! And a low level shower tray can be a pain so try and use both side inlets rather than T the shower and basin waste pipes into just the one inlet but if you have to then there is away around this.

By limitations I meant remember that is only designed for normal toilet paper not some which are more like kitchen roll tissue and the killer is wet wipes of any kind even the ones with flushable on the front of the packet in big lettering !

Take into account water flows in to the pump they do not suck ! And a low level shower tray can be a pain so try and use both side inlets rather than T the shower and basin waste pipes into just the one inlet but if you have to then there is away around this.

we may drop the idea of a shower...as this will be a guest room and the space taken by the shower could be better utilised by room for bedroom furniture
so...
a toilet and hand basin should be sufficient
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back