Radial circuit in garage

mrcrow - be advised that all of these suggestions are notifiable work:
I guess you could convert it to a b25 if you can get one.
Or convert it to a ring
MCBs are also available in 20A or 25A versions, both of which would be suitable if using 2.5mm² cable.
The shower unit appears to have a spare way for an additional circuit, depending on the rating of the RCD in it.
Remove the entire lot and fit a single new consumer unit for everything.
Hadn't spotted that spare way! See if you can get a 25A mcb for it. (may not be easy!)
I guess you could splash out on some 6mm cable and use a genuine 32A sector MCB.

Sponsored Links
hardly worth the trouble changing blue to yellow for that items you intend to run off it. Less than you currently have?!
I guess you could splash out on some 6mm cable and use a genuine 32A sector MCB.
A bit of effort to terminate 6mm cable into sockets. But if you aren't having many...
I think 4mm can also be used with 32A ?

could i get away with 2.5 and a 25A

Yes, no need for 6mm².
:rolleyes:

Andy...would i be able to use a 2.5 t+e and a 25A mcb?

EFL...ditto...but both...i will stick with 4 if you think that is best..

ps that space isnt much room to get a mcb in...looks like i will have to take the bus out?

** i do notice and from other examples of installing a mcb that the grey insulation isnt present...that means with 2.5 for example it would seem to be more room available

Attachments

• mcb 1.jpg
    mcb 1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 180
  • mcb 11.jpg
    mcb 11.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 188
  • mcb 22.jpg
    mcb 22.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
mrcrow - be advised that all of these suggestions are notifiable work:

thanks my friend...i am aware of how far one can go and how far one cant go
i will do the work and get my central heating engineer...due for a boiler clean...will check it and certify the work.
he did my gas cock removal certification as well

cheers
geof

Last edited:
I’m sure a plumber certifying your work will put bans mind at rest.:ROFLMAO:

2.5mm and 25A is fine.

Yes the bus bar needs to come out.

May need a new hole in the right side for the cable.

Shower looks to be done in 10mm

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i am aware of how far one can go and how far one cant go
But do you care?

i will do the work and get my central heating engineer...due for a boiler clean...will check it and certify the work.
So then there will be two of you breaking the law.

he did my gas cock removal certification as well
Was that lawful?

I’m sure a plumber certifying your work will put bans mind at rest.:ROFLMAO:

2.5mm and 25A is fine.

actually as you bloody well know...heating engineers do everything ....my chap even helped me to change wet underfloor heating zone valves with slow motors.
if he cant do it...his boss will...and if he cant i will get a bovis electrician to do it..who are just up the road
whatever...i will pay for it...then its kashrut!!

But do you care?

So then there will be two of you breaking the law.

Was that lawful?

what would make it lawful.? i am willing to comply

Under the new regulations those carrying out the work but who are not registered with a competent persons' scheme will have to get the work signed off by a registered third party.
This potentially could create a new stream of work for registered electricians. However, non-registered electricians must
continue to notify their work to the LABC prior to commencement
until such time as the ‘third party certification’ scheme has been defined and in operation.

i think you mean this

these are on ebay
either sector or Ge

$_61.JPG

i found out the sector equipment are compatible..both ways?..with wylex
re: the heater load...i may reduce this to 1Kw...the garage isnt habitable and even after all the insulation...we will lose all the heat when the skoda comes out to gobble up some diesel at 60mpg
cheers
geof

Under the new regulations those carrying out the work but who are not registered with a competent persons' scheme will have to get the work signed off by a registered third party.
Is your CH engineer registered as a 3rd-party certifier of electrical work?

Is your CH engineer registered as a 3rd-party certifier of electrical work?
i will ask him...as i explained if not then his boss may be
if not i will get a 3rd party certifier from the local housing development
i am not afraid to pay for that kind of expertise and legality
i have emailed my council to see what they will charge for an inspector to do it
in any event it will be done..i will post a pic of the document on here when it is issued by whoever
this is one stage of diy i dont want to be incriminated for...insurance or resale
thanks old chap
glad you are looking over us....as it happens your team there is too far away to invite for a beer and talk
i am in cornwall...which seems now having lived here again really cut off..
cheers for now
geof

Yeap. Got any cable in stock to use?

? is this meant for me?

i will buy some sufficient to do the work...10m at toolstation

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/Cables+&+Flexes/sd2730/Twin+&+Earth+Cable+(6242Y)+Grey+10m/p58713

???? they dont seem to stock 4mm...is that normal...i will go elsewere if i decide to go that route on the washer and dryer radial...18A loading...i see 2.5 is rated at 27A...in air...should i be using a 20A mcb?...dont see a lot of 25A so far
edit...this is from..so many different ratings on different websites...
i am using single phase clipped direct...mcb same or above?

cheers
geof

* ebay seems to be the answer again..

Last edited:
2.5mm should be rated at 27A when clipped down (from memory)

So choose an Mcb lower than 27
Hence me saying 25

Last edited:
2.5mm should be rated at 27A when clipped down (from memory)
I was just thinking you could use cost to help decide.

B25 £9 + 2.5 mm cable
B32 + 4 or 6mm cable

thanks...i have been filling my head with figures and taking photos for your edification today so will sleep well...

there is a saying
"As iron sharpens iron, so friends sharpen each other's knowledge"
proverbs 27:17

the more you ask the more you learn...!!

so i am now getting a clearer picture..
i have designed offshore oil rigs and taken the calcs right down to the last Kn/cm^2 for weight restrictions...
nothing fell down as the materials were used at 66% yield...factor of safety
so it must be the same with the material certification for wiring..??
numerically 2.5 and B25 must be ok...i guess the cable takes longer to reach a level where it is not useable than a mcb to fire...a few m/sec's?

been a good trip this with you and the lads..including the big man B.A.S.
what was that thing about do i have spare cable?...i had some but used it some time ago..
cheers
geof

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back