Hello - and can I walk in the valley?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I've been lurking for a while but the purchase of a 'project' house has caused me to register and ask for help; probably not for the last time!

The neighbouring property is in a very dire state and we expect to have to sort some of their problems for our own defence.
First on the list is getting a handle on the damp.

Photos below - we are the right hand property.

There is a lead valley catching our neighbours rain water but is currently a roof garden! Obviously, as a first step, we need to get rid of the tree, clear gutters etc. to see if we have leaks or just overflowing/backed up gutter/valley.

Immediate issue is how do I access? Roof ladders from the right would mean working below the level of my feet. Roof ladders on neighbours is scary; the other side of their ridge is very poor slates and the last thing I want to do is make theirs worse! The tree etc are nearly 5m from the gable end where the photos were taken from. A boom lift will set me back nearly £500 for the weekend!
So should I be able to walk in the valley; should it be on something strong enough to take my weight <14 stone; do I need crawling boards? any other ideas??

Longer term:
I plan to reroof as parts need lots of wor k plus we have Geoff Capes waterproof felt.
The nearest, redundant, chimney will be removed (conservation area permitting) making reroofing easier.
v1.jpg v2.jpg v3.jpg v4.jpg v5.jpg v6.jpg

Sponsored Links
All things being equal you should be able to walk in there yes, not withstanding if it is leaking the timber below may be rotten or it may not have been correctly constructed in the first place.
Hard to tell from those pictures but a box gutter that long should be stepped along it's length, if it is lead lined.
Lead shouldn't be in one single length that long and shouldn't just be lapped flat. the tiling on the neighbouring roof doesn't seem to indicate it is though

That lead work need replacing, an as chappers said if its been leaking a while
then it could be rotten. In my experience will be rotten.

scoot along it.. better out than in.
I too would expect to find lead damage unless your very lucky
if you happen to break a tile, they are bog standard concrete plain tiles fyi

Sponsored Links
OP,
You can safely walk on the gutter flat.
Safe access would be from a tied-in tower.
The roof tiles on both sides are probably fragile, so a roof ladder(s) would be needed for any movement on the roof planes.

Presumably, the boundary line between the two properties is the abutment wall side of the box gutter?
Going on to a neighbour's property can be a bit tricky - there's info about such matters in the Regs and Planning forum, & the Building forum.
But whatever, its best to get permission & maybe discuss a joint course of action?

Where are the leaks showing in your property?

The box gutter is badly designed & poorly built - "repairs" have been attempted with the grey Acrypol.
Lead flashing to stacks and the main roof join is absent (or wrongly fitted), and sand & cement fillets have been used.
There are various other remedial repairs that are needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back