Heloing dad paint exterior farm doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I hope you don't mind me posting on your forum.

I wanted to help my dad by painting some wooden doors on our farm.

Here are some of the doors. They are blistered and cracked.

http://imgur.com/a/FJ1uM

Plan
pick a sunny warm day
Remove loose paint with scraper
Sand down with orbital sander or similar powertool
Paint on primer and undercoat combined
Paint on main exterior wood paint

Questions
Am I on the right track with my plan?
Do have to sand right back to the wood or can I rough the paint up, take off the loose stuff and then primer, top coat?

Kit
I have paint brushes, a random orbital sander, sandpaper and paint stripper if necessary? also I have white spirit to clean the brushes, pots and face mask.

I have ordered some exterior wood paint.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ronseal-Wea...hite-Gloss-750ml-RSL-/322097719489?nav=SEARCH

And this combined undercoat and primer

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Pri...ood-Primer-Undercoat-/221747799913?nav=SEARCH

It doesn't have to be pretty, just practical which to me means try and make it last a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the help

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi, I reckon you have two choices.
Wash scrape and rub down and then slap a coat of paint on like the last half dozen blokes did!
Strip with a hot air gun, to bare wood and use Ranch (breathable) paint which will allow any moisture in the timber to evaporate rather than blistering the finish.
Depends on how rotten some of the wood is, whether it can be repaired with a little wood hardener, or if it is really not worth the effort.

Your plan sounds reasonable; I wouldn't spend the time and effort in stripping it to bare wood.

cheers
Richard

Thanks both! If I go with my plan, does it make sense to do the combined primer and undercoat on remaining roughed up paint that is stuck on well? There will be bare patches of wood too so I thought on balance it would be helpful?

Sponsored Links
Traditionally bare wood gets primed, then the whole surface gets undercoated, then topcoated.

But you can use the combined primer and undercoat all over.

Bare wood will need more coats over it than previously painted wood, so be sure the bare wood is well covered, otherwise it could appear streaky when the topcoat is done.

Be sure to sand all over. Otherwise the paint could flake off later - and you don't want that. Good condition old paint doesn't need excessive sanding, but should be sanded all over to provide a key for the new paint.

Be sure to clean off the dust.

I have to say the doors look in reasonable condition - farm barn doors are so often very neglected usually.

Well Done for helping your Dad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back