Helop - no hot water - Worcester R29/R40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - hope someone can help

Moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago, and still trying to get my head around the central heating (had a combi previously). I have a Worcester R29/40 (not sure which, manual is for both), and an Ariston STI 21c hot water cylinder (plus a few other things in the cupboard -a Wilo and a Grundfos, though not sure what they are for)

anyway, today we have no hot water - when I looked at the boiler, the temperature was at 99, but no other lights/indicators showing (just the main green one. None of the pipes are more than faintly Luke warm, if that. the temp slowly clocks down over fifteen minutes until it hits 72 and the boiler then fires (red light comes on) at which point the number climbs back up to 99 in about 15 seconds (switching the boiler back off as it passes the 75 mark we have it set as (E setting). This then repeats.

I've tried turning it off and on (I have an IT background :D ) to no avail. The pumps all seem to be running in the hot water tank cupboard.

Any suggestions? Sounds like a callout to me, but anything I can do in the meantime.

And second question (if I don't sound like a muppet enough)- I assume my cylinder has an immersion heater, (has a thermowatt, and a box above it with a dial), but this has always been turned on since we moved in. Does the boiler actually do the hot water as well, or does this indicate we've been running off immersion for that (and is that what has now broken?

Any advice appreciated, not looking forward to that cold shower tomorrow morning

Sponsored Links
Do you have two pipes going into the side of the cylinder ? Is your pump spinning ? Is your heating working ? Do you have a two/three port valve ?

Do you have two pipes going into the side of the cylinder ? Is your pump spinning ? Is your heating working ? Do you have a two/three port valve ?

I think it's 3 pipes (plus a few more)

The Wilo is running if that's the pump (what's the Grundfos then) and I can stop/start it with the override on the Honeywell control.

Where would the port valve be ?

Since I posted (and had my dinner) the boiler has stabilized at 78, and the pipe below the Wilo is now hot - but none of the pipes attached to the cylinder are.

Sponsored Links
Have engineer coming round to look at it - he thought it was one of the zone actuators (On his suggestion, I tried the black plastic lever on the top of the one on the smaller pipe, and it wouldn't budge, the other one was fine).

Also wonder if the previous owner had dealt with this by switching on the Immersion, and it had now died having been on for a few months (how long would they last in those circumstances?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back