HELP! 2 lights with 3 light switches, can't make it work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 lights in hall, they're controlled by 3 light switches. They should both switch on and off in the same time. First light has simple wiring ( brown, blue, earth). Second light has 2 earth wires, 4 blue and 4 brown. I've changed light fitting on the second one and I have problem wiring it right. It works with switches but the other light stays on, can't switch it off. Help, please!

Sponsored Links
need to be a bit clearer.

The 2 lights always used to be on or off together.

Which light is stuck on ? The one with lots of wires or the one with small amount of wires.

A picture of the lots of wires would help

need to be a bit clearer.

The 2 lights always used to be on or off together.

Which light is stuck on ? The one with lots of wires or the one with small amount of wires.

A picture of the lots of wires would help
Lights were always on or off together. The one that's on all the time is the one with simple wiring. I can't take a picture now of the light with lots of wires, but can tell you, there's 2 pairs of grey wires coming from a ceiling; grey wires in each pair are connected by earth wires; each grey wire has blue and brown wire. One blue is marked with insulation tape, I'm guessing that's switch wire. I've connected marked blue one to L, all brown to loop and all the rest of blue to N. Light works with all 3 switches, but the other light just stays on. It has only simple wiring, blue and brown wire connected to N and L. I hope that's clearer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back