HELP 3-phase!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i was wondering if anyone could help me here, i was wondering how i can split a 3 phase supply into single phases and get a neutral from it. im looking to run around 80 computers from a 3 phase supply and usually hire the distribution boards but was looking for a challenge and thought that i might be able to build it. im used to smaller electronics than mains (am doing electronic and computer engineering) but have "played" with mains before.
i was just wondering how you could make a 3 phase converter. and then what protection you need like a 4 pole RCD or MCBs? also as there is a fair bit of earth leakage from computers i didnt know if the rcd would keep tripping out.

Cheers for any help Sam
oh ps im in the UK (cambridge if anyone has a 3 phase distribution system they want to lend me for this weekend.)

Sponsored Links
this is a diy forum , but i suppose there is no harm in asking, but there is harm in as you said but have "played" with mains before.

3 phase is NOT to be "played with" sorry in this instance you will need an electrician, also a new supply as 3 phase can be split but requires a Neutral supplied by the supply company.

I have in my time had a "few" electric shocks from single phase through my own error not ignorance, i am still here to tell you about it, 3 phase shock usualy results in DEATH

i also assume you are being paid for this "event" (80 computers) spend some money on an electrician who knows what he is doing. then come back next week and tell us how it went

......also as there is a fair bit of earth leakage from computers i didnt know if the rcd would keep tripping out.

What IS all this about computers leaking to earth. Businesses run hundreds of them (in the same building) on power rings with RCDs for safety reasons. (Perhaps I am wrong). They don't keep tripping out, the crashing is caused by windoze, usually.

Sponsored Links
The safest way to power a PC, is through a 30ma RCD socket outlet point, fed via a 13a fused spur, it can best cope with the earth leakages inherent in PC's, and gives a high degree of personal protection to the user.

yea but that dont help him, he is unlikley to know, or be able to balance the supply perfectly, so will need a neutral.

AR

.....it can best cope with the earth leakages inherent in PC's....

Here we go again, so I'll repeat the question WHAT EARTH LEAKAGE??? and before anyone answers (unless you KNOW), please refer to my post above. Next why is it there? and what is the spec limit for earth leakage on a computer?

Just to poke my nose in, if you're going to be running several computers off a three phase system, watch out for third harmonics on your nuetral!

I wrote an essay on third harmonics not long ago. here

oilman said:
Here we go again, so I'll repeat the question WHAT EARTH LEAKAGE??? and before anyone answers (unless you KNOW), please refer to my post above. Next why is it there? and what is the spec limit for earth leakage on a computer?

see this

and this

yankey-sparkey, the thing is the origonal poster has no neutral (and i assume trying to do things cheaply)

ban-all-sheds, thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more research.

yankey-sparky, I'd be interested to read your essay but the link appears to show what might be a summary, or is it the whole essay?

Breezer: Assuming he has a 415/240 volt three-phase "why" or "star" connected system it should have a nuetral. I can't imagine he's got an ungrounded delta connection. Just take care to balance your loads on the three phases or you'll get nuetral currents. In the unlikely event that he does have a delta connection, he'll need a delta-to-star transformer.

Oilman: That's all I wrote, I intended it to be a description of third harmonics for someone who doesn't know what they are, not a troubleshooting guide for dealing with them. You need some expensive equipment to detect them and you're better off getting a consultant to take care of it for you.

yankey-sparky said:
Breezer: Assuming he has a 415/240 volt three-phase "why" or "star" connected system it should have a nuetral. I can't imagine he's got an ungrounded delta connection. Just take care to balance your loads on the three phases or you'll get nuetral currents. In the unlikely event that he does have a delta connection, he'll need a delta-to-star transformer.

dont forget, this isnt the US, i cant realy see that there would be much difference, but i have seen 3 phase alone, with no neutral, and there has been no tranny.
...i always thaught that the idea was that you balance the load perfectly on the phases, so there is no current for the neutral to compensate, so is not needed......
whilst i think about it :eek:ne thing i dont understand is; what do you do with the neutrals from the fittings? do you connect across phases instead of phase-neutral :confused:

supersparks said:
yankey-sparky said:

dont forget, this isnt the US, i cant realy see that there would be much difference, but i have seen 3 phase alone, with no neutral, and there has been no tranny.
...i always thaught that the idea was that you balance the load perfectly on the phases, so there is no current for the neutral to compensate, so is not needed......
whilst i think about it :eek:ne thing i dont understand is; what do you do with the neutrals from the fittings? do you connect across phases instead of phase-neutral :confused:

thats what i was thinking of!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back