3 Phase Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house recently a noticed the main distribution panel CB is 3 way. Im not too up on house electrics, but does that mean I have 3 phase input?

Its a big hager distribution panel and the switch says 100amp 415v.

Do I just then have to install a 3 phase CB on the output side? This would be ideal for me getting 3 phase woodworking equipment.

And before anyone suggests, yes I will get a sparkie in to do this!!
Thanks

Dean

Sponsored Links
Please post a piccy!

If you're going to install rotating machinery, please take steps to eliminate stroboscopic effect.

Can you post a picture of your incomming service head & meter?

It is a TP dist. board, but in larger houses, it is not uncommon to see this type of board installed with a single phasing kit.

One more thing, why is the circuit breaker labelled as "fire alarm DO NOT SWITCH OFF" switched off?

Sponsored Links
Please can you also post a close up piccy of those devices on the right hand side?

They look like Hager DP RCD's.

Is the dwelling an ex-hostel or boarding house or hotel?

The reason the Fire Alarm is switched off is because it's probably half-dismantled or false-alarming...Maybe it is disused.

Agree with that, they do look a bit like RCCBs. Are they fed from some of the MCBs on the left hand side? I know it is naughty, any chance of a piccy with the front off? Turn off the main switch first.

We wouldn't want to get some of our members over excited now, would we? :LOL:

As this is domestic, turning off the main switch will not isolate the neutral so is a little bit naughty. ;)

Ive never looked at the meter yet, its outside in its own box and I dont have the key to open it.

Its an ex-care home BTW. A lot of services are disabled such as fire-alarm as theyre not installed anymore.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the inside of the DP tomorrow morning, cant turn it off now as girlfriend is watching TV!!

Dean

Agree with that, they do look a bit like RCCBs. Are they fed from some of the MCBs on the left hand side? I know it is naughty, any chance of a piccy with the front off? Turn off the main switch first.
They are DP RCBO's - They are NOT fed via an MCB. They attach to the busbar, but take up two modules. They have an empty area where the 'unused' phase sits.

I have used GE RCBOs which are like that with the flying lead, just thought the Hager ones in the pic looked very much the same as their normal RCCBs, can't zoom in far enough to read what it says on the device tho :(

Hagar do double pole and single pole RCBO's. The double pole switches the neutral aswell as the phase, but takes up two modules.

The sinlge pole one does not switch the neutral, and takes up just one module.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back