help a newbie: moving a wall !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
first post (probably of many) so be kind!

I'm buying my first house!!! its basically an excuse to buy tools and do some DIY!

one project will probably be moving a bit of wall. where the stairs go down theres a large area thats been taken out of the third bedroom so people dont knock their heads. While effective its a little OTT and means a huge section of space is lost from the 3rd bedroom for the sake of a 10ft persons forhead.

a picture says 1000 words though...
IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

I'm thinking i can remove the wall in the bedroom and build something further back.

I'll still need to leave a foot high 'box' in the bedroom so normal people dont KO walking up and down stairs.

question is - whats the best way of doing this? im thinking of just putting wooden studs on the brick wall (on the left of pic 1) and makig a wallfrom plasterboard. would this work. it doesnt need to be load bearing!

any help would be appreciated. I'm new to DIY on my own house but I'm fairly handy.

thanks in advance

Chaard

Sponsored Links
1. The head height is also a "for furniture" height.
2. Measure down from the"bottom" of that wall panel over the stairs - from where the vertical goes horizontal - and report back the drop to the nosing line of your treads. I very much doubt that it will be 10ft.
3. If you'r certain that it's not loadbearing then you can take it down and build-in your box/soffit idea. It doesn't have to be a box shape it can slope up - like you've probably seen in other houses.
4. Studwork and plaster board would be fine.
5.Work safe off a platform over the stairwell.

If you change head height coming up the stairs, I think the vertical height from each stair step to ceiling is minimum 2Mtrs for regulations, make sure you keep this.

Sponsored Links
The minimum head height over the stairs is 2000mm, you need to keep this if you ever want to sell the house again, creating the cupboard is the best idea and simple to do, builders will use that wall to fix a winder staircase to when converting your loft so bare that in mind should you be considering a loft conversion in the future because you will need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back