help... a out side light 3 headed post lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i bought this light from focus the d.i.y. shop.
bought the right wire and bulbs wired it up to the diagram and when i turn it on bang it trips the trip swith. it says to use 60w es gls bulbs and i got 60w es bulbs could that be it.
all the wires are right blue to blue green to green brown to brown .
i have fitted this light to my decking so could it be some thing to do wiv the earth. thanks

email address removed, please read the forum rules

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the fitting and power up again - does it still trip?

securespark said:
Disconnect the fitting and power up again - does it still trip?
what do you mean disconnect the mains supply from the light. i forgot to say got this light wired in to an old extracter fan switch

extractor fan switch? do you mean one with a wide rocker and a fan symbol on it? What wires do you have there?

"the right wire" <<what exactly did it say to use?

And given the current energy conscious climate, you ought to be ashamed of yourself for installing standard GLS lamps. Go out and buy some energy saving lamps right away! :LOL: You could probably fit 18w lamps, equivalent to 100w GLS because they emit a lot less heat, and this will obviously be brighter than 60w GLS.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
extractor fan switch? do you mean one with a wide rocker and a fan symbol on it? What wires do you have there?

"the right wire" <<what exactly did it say to use?

it said to use h05rnf cable its a outdoor rubber sheathed cable dont know much about gls bulbs that what it said to use

And given the current energy conscious climate, you ought to be ashamed of yourself for installing standard GLS lamps. Go out and buy some energy saving lamps right away! :LOL: You could probably fit 18w lamps, equivalent to 100w GLS because they emit a lot less heat, and this will obviously be brighter than 60w GLS.
sorry yes its the wide switch it has red blue and yellow wires dont think the probs are the switch side

strongbowsteve said:
sorry yes its the wide switch it has red blue and yellow wires dont think the probs are the switch side
right, do you know which is live, which is neutral and which is switched live? How is the light currently wired? Where have you connected earth?

Hi just a update on my light has i said i had connected my light to a old extracter fan switch in the kitchen. i have found out now what is happening when i turn the out side light on it will come on ok but if i switch the kitching light on when the outside light is on it will trip the circit fuse and the same the other way around if the kitchen light is on and i turn the out side light on the circit will trip..................... any body has any ideas. i used to have a old halagon spot light on the same switch before i got this new one and it never blew at all . cheer

If it will only switch on with the kitchen lights, you have connected the live of the new light to the SWITCHED LIVE of the kitchen lights.

As I said before, that blue red and yellow wire will contain live, switched live, and neutral. You need to find which is which.

Blue is most likely neutral.

Red and yellow could be either way around of live and SL, one wont be connected to your new light.

There will also be a bare earth wire.

For the last time, how the chuff have you wired it???

sorry m8 i have connected it the same as my old light blue to blue red 2 red green 2 green. and it wont work with the kitchin light on it blows lol but when the kitchin light is off hay it works i used to work in yorkshire in a plase called brighouse

wilkinsons have a sale on, outside candles they work a treat .. maybe an unthought of option . !

no m8 i aint . had a chat to a elecy to day and he said it sounds like a trapped wire in the lamp. aint had time to have a look yet coss of the weather.

strongbowsteve said:
when i turn the out side light on it will come on ok but if i switch the kitching light on when the outside light is on it will trip the circit fuse and the same the other way around if the kitchen light is on and i turn the out side light on the circit will trip

]

Think everyones missing this. Sounds like you may be overloading the circuit if they both work fine when only one or the other is on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back