help - adding new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help. I've added some extra sockets in my integral garage, but none of the new ones work. The original pair still work and the breaker hasn't tripped.
The original double socket had a pair of 2.5mm feeds (in and out?) down the wall. I disconnected one of these and connected the feed to the new sockets in its place in the existing socket.
Each new socket is connected to the next with 2.5mm. The last new socket then connects back to the previously-disconnected feed at a new junction box.
Seemed sound to me, yet none of the new ones work and the old one still does. So surely there must be electrical continuity through the new sockets and no cross-wiring? Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a radial circuit, was it fused at 20a at the CU ?

You need to follow the route to the end of the cable you connected and see what is disconnected !

If you had connected direct on to the existing plug, I would imagine that live is the CU source and would activate the new sockets, but would still mean whatever is on the old cable is discon / dead.

If in any doubt, picture and further info please.

I'd also add that the new sockets and extended circuit really should be tested, how do you intend to do this ?

Breaker is 32A. Garage sockets are on upstairs socket ring, hence feed down wall from ceiling. Made reasonable assumption that this was ring in and out. If sockets were on a spur I would have expected only 1 cable. House is 11 years old, if that makes any difference.
Upstairs sockets are unaffected by change and all still seem to work.
Would have to pull ceiling down to trace cable run, unless can borrow a tracer. Can't see anything else it could possibly go to, though. There's no other power in garage apart from internal and external lights, and these are OK.
Strange thing is, my simple circuit tester screwdriver says (presumably by inductance) that both feeds are live up to my new connections, but nothing is live on "my" side of them. Multimeter confirms 0V at new sockets. Perhaps I should re-check my connections for continuity.
Existing house wiring colours are black and red. New cabling is blue and brown. Colour coding should therefore be brown to red and blue to black, yes?

Apologies to all.

First new socket I opened up had a wire come loose. Must have happened when I pushed the cables back into the surface box - tail perhaps a bit short.

Re-made that connection and everything works fine now. Note to self - make sure you check the simple stuff properly first.

Thanks to those who did respond in my time of need.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have lost continuity of the ring. Check all your connections are ok ISOLATE THE CIRCUIT FIRST. The junction box is where exactly, as it still has to be accessable for maintenance purposes.
If you have overtightened any connections they may look ok but have snapped off in the screw. A simple cont test will confirm ring ok.
Throw away that neon screwdriver as they are pants. A wire may have popped out when refitting the faceplates if they haven't been wired with care, so do ensure power is off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back