HELP and advice sought re small leaks in cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals
I'm looking for some advice about a few small leaks in my cellar.

It's a double vaulted cellar; one room is pretty dry, the other has one wall that leaks from around 8 different points, and another from around 2.
These are not drastic leaks; and it only does it when it rains heavily or for a prolonged time.
They are coming from areas where the stone has crumbled - there are no obvious massive holes, rather water just coming from the crumbled areas. Some of the areas are simply droplets and glisten - but some are worse and small rivers.

At its worst so far I've used a big car sponge to mop up about 3 standard bucketfuls.

The solution I'm looking for doesn't have to be completely watertight, although would be great of course, but it's a rented place and I'm on a budget. Mainly I want to stop he problem getting much worse, improve if possible and be able to dry it out a bit to stop mould setting in even more.

I'm thinking of being able to make some mortar and basically paste over the areas with the small areas where water is making its way through.

I've attached some photos to provide some context.

Can anyone give any advice in the direction of whether I'm going to have any luck with mortar idea, whether it should be used on the kind of stone, (assuming sandstone unless you have other opinions), whether it should be applied when wall is dry or OK damp; what ratio should use for the mix, and whether there's anything else I need to bear in mind.
IMG_7260.JPG
IMG_7261.JPG
IMG_7262.JPG
IMG_7263.JPG

The goal is simply to reduce / stop the main water problem but not to transform the cellar into a completely liveable room.

Many thanks in advance for your advice/comments

Attachments

• IMG_7264.JPG
    IMG_7264.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7265.JPG
    IMG_7265.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_7266.JPG
    IMG_7266.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7267.JPG
    IMG_7267.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7268.JPG
    IMG_7268.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7269.JPG
    IMG_7269.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
Mortar isn't really going to do much I'm afraid, as the bricks would still be wet from that amount of water trying to seep in. What's outside the wall that makes it so wet; is there a broken drain by any chance. There are products like dryzone that will stop rising damp, but it may not be strong enough to hold back the water seepage you've got. There's also things like Blackjack to consider, but you'd still need to repoint before you apply either of these. But whatever you do, I'd wait till summer for it to dry a bit, then start whatever you're going to do.

Any idea of what's on the other side of the walls.

Your plan is flawed. Your mortar will just get wetter and wetter and then water just soaks through as it does now. This will take 10 minutes or so.

You won't stop ground water coming through the wall unless you waterproof it internally - tanking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back