Crumbly cellar walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to the site and just moved into my first house, looking for some advice on cellar walls...

I've never had a cellar before so have no knowledge of this kind. Ultimately, I want to use the cellar as somewhere I can store stuff without it getting too damp or covered in brick dust, i.e. not too bothered about how it looks, don't want to spend a fortune on it etc. The previous owner obviously didn't really use it so needs a bit of attention and the house is fairly old (c1890's).

Currently, half the cellar walls are stone and half are brick. The walls are covered in what I think is limewash but it's very crumbly and can be scraped off with minimal effort. I started to get the loose stuff off with a wire brush and scraper but found that the mortar underneath between the stone is also very crumbly and sandy and I'm able to remove it with minimal effort (see pictures).

A couple of questions...
1. Should I be worried about how crumbly the mortar is/is this normal for a building of this age?
2. Should I just leave the crumbly mortar or do something about it?
3. Assuming I leave the mortar be, I've been suggested to use a coat of PVA to help bind the loose stuff and stop the creation of brick dust. Is this a good idea for a cellar (I gather it's preferable to allow cellar walls to "breathe").
4. What kind of paint should I use to finish the job off (standard masonry paint or more expensive damp-seal stuff).

The cellar is a little on the damp side but it should be well above the water table and I'm not trying to get it to a perfect standard, basically just to a state where I can store metal tins without them going rusty. Thinking of getting a de-humidifier for sporadic use when the winters get really bad.
IMG_5684.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5686.JPG

Any advice much appreciated!
Cheers!

Sponsored Links
There are 2 choices with cellars.
1 - leave them as they are, and accept that they are damp and dirty. Items stored there will rust, go mouldy and generally be destroyed.
2 - spend many thousands of pounds or even more converting it into a usable living space and there won't be any problems with rust or mould.

There are no quick, cheap or easy options to obtain 2 - and if attempted on the cheap you will always end up with 1.

Sponsored Links
Or 3: make sure that anything stored there is kept in an airtight box or sealed plastic bag.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back