Step crack in cellar wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an 1890's end terrace which has a half cellar. The wall which separates the cellar has developed a step crack, spanning about 4ft in height. It follows the mortar, although one brick has split. The joints in the cellar are a little eroded at points, and I think the crack is perhaps more obvious as the mortar has dropped out in chunks. The wall itself separates the cellar from the foundation section under my living room, which is pretty much just a couple of foot drop and then clay. It is two bricks thick. Living room joists rest on the wall, but there are no walls above.
Should I rake and repoint with lime mortar, or does it need further investigation?

Sponsored Links
In my mates old house this wall was about 5' high so you could see over it right to the front wall. I think its best to put a tight string or long stick on the wall so you can work out which way its moving/bulging etc. Normally a stepped crack means that one side of the wall has dropped so the wall is trying to bend downwards. This would mean that one side of the house has dropped. Could be caused by heavy lorries on the adjacent road (this has happened to my place).
Its been there 120 years, so it could see you out! just repoint and keep an eye on it. My house side has dropped about .3mm in 12 years, so its not exactly racing away.
Frank

Would you say the crack is wider at the top or the bottom or even?

How wide (in mm's) at its widest?

Post pics from both sides of the wall please?

Has there been any previous water or damp issues in the cellar?

Has any building work taken place recently?

How long has the crack been there?

Sponsored Links
Just monitor it over four seasons.

It could be some seasonal movement and will close up, a once only bit of movement or the beginning of ongoing movement.

Have a look for any new external cracking or internal cracking to finishes. If none, then it's probably nothing to be bothered about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back