Help appreciated with lit fibre / google mesh network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I had Lit Fibre (full fibre) installed recently; very impressive 100Mb symmetric upload / download

However I do have one issue which is that I have a Google mesh network to distribute signal round the house and the two things are not quite compatible it seems. For reasons of cost and convenience, I don't want to replace the Google mesh network.

The Lit fibre router cannot be run in bridge mode so if I have the Google router and the Lit fibre router then I get double NAT.

It is possible to connect the Google router directly to the Lit Fibre modem on the wall. However I would like to have a static IP address to improve performance (they use CGNAT) and they say I then need the Google router to spoof a specific MAC address. The Google router cannot do this.

The customer service people assured me I could use both routers after the static IP address was applied and I would not get double NAT... perhaps there is some technical reason why they are right in that I will not get double NAT performance issues... but I did tracert and there are still two private IP addresses so I think I am getting double NAT still.

So the options seem to me to be:

1) Use both routers and live with the double NAT
2) Plug Google into the Lit fibre modem on the wall (ignoring their router) and live with the fact I can't spoof the correct MAC address (would this be significant?)
3) Can someone recommend a router which will be reliable, fast and a) allows bridge mode and b) allows MAC spoofing? As then I could use that between the Google router and the Lit fibre modem and hopefully that would work nicely? It's so hard to work out from product listings so if someone could recommend that would be great

Any thoughts / help gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Ok I’ll try that but it seems difficult, many people online saying that the Google Home app never really lets you make those changes and realistically you have to do a factory reset. I worked out how to get the subnet mask and gateway info so I think when I do the factory reset I can set it all up correctly.

The email from Lit Fibre says they use DHCP. So if I change the Google router to Static IP rather than DHCP, then go through their router and modem, will that be ok?

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want the Google box on dynamic IP. Then it will pick up an IP from the router

Back