Help attaching garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to decide the best way to attach a garden gate between the back of my house and my garage. The gap is 1000mm across, but my issue is the two walls are 50mm out from each other (attached a picture to illustrate). Any advice on the best way to install a gate here?

Attachments

• GardenGate.PNG
    GardenGate.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Did a similar job a few years ago: 1. Attach wooden posts to the house and garage walls anchor bolts. You will need an sds rotary hammer drill to make suitable holes in the walls. 2. It is essential that you use "hot dip galvanised" hinges for the gate because anything else will rust away and look horrible within a year or two. Because of the 50mm difference shown in your diagram the gate will finish up being slightly slanted rather than dead square but this simply doesn't really matter and one can see it all the time if you look carefully. I even have a door in my house which has been so installed.

You could use a thicker post at one end, but it won't be noticeable.

BTW the house is pretty sure to be more solid, so put the hinge end here to take the weight, and avoid the noise of the latch banging.

A "hook and band" hinge is strongest and most durable. The arm length should be one third the width of the gate. I like to paint the galvanised before fitting. If you put three greased stainless washers over each pin, the gate will swing freely without squeaking or wearing away the paint

Last edited:
I'd consider putting a 3" x 3" post on the garage wall and a similar one on the house wall but stepped back from the front edge by 1"
This way the two front edges of the posts, (i.e. the ones facing each other), should be in a straight line.
Even if a gate didn't 'look' slanted to others, to me it would jump out a mile.

Sponsored Links
Use a 6x6" post or screw extra 3x3" (or whatever) on to fill gap.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back