Attaching a ring gate latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm just looking for some advice on fitting a latch to my gate.

The latch I have to fit is this - Ring gate latch

I've got a 6ft fence with gate. The gate is hinged at the fences side rather than the house.

There is a stop on the wall that the gate butts up against when shut.

I've got a ring latch to fit to the gate but nowhere to attach the fittings that would be on the post (if there was one).

What would be the best thing to do to install the latch? Do I need to attach a bit of timber to the wall of the house to attach the fittings to?

The cross bars of the gate sit flush with the wall of the house so adding timber to the wall of the house would mean I'd need to add timber to the gate too to keep them flush.

I've attached a pic to show the gate as it is now.

Cheers for any advice.

durham2011092500292.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the baton on the gate is flush with the wall when closed as you say, then I would mount the part that accepts the latch directly onto the brickwork using rawplugs and screws, presuming that the latch part with the bar will be mounted on this side of the gate, as shown in your photo.

You might need to get some longer screws than those supplied with the kit.

What would be the best thing to do to install the latch? Do I need to attach a bit of timber to the wall of the house to attach the fittings to?
Fix a wooden post to the wall but with a section cut out like a rebate so the gate lever will be between the the post and the wall, might have to cut the length of the gate lever to allow this to work depending on the type of design

Will need to brace the gate otherwise will drop, the pic below is for when the hinges is on the left which is the same as your photo

images

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back